1997 VMAX Tallest Track

RockerJofis

Looking at replacing the worn-out track on the wife's 97 Vmax 136". Looking at the cobra 1.3" or better yet the 1.5" intense.

In reality would either of these fit with much change? I read some online info on the drivers would have to be changed for clearance to be able to do that, which to me is confusing. If the stock track is 2.52" drive pitch and the new track is the same size (just taller lugs), why would different drivers change the clearance in the tunnel.

Any info is appreciated.

when you go from a 9 tooth to an 8 tooth driver, the driver decreases in diameter witch moves it further away from the tunnel/heat exchanger allowing for taller tracks to be used.

without going to smaller drivers, i know 1.25" lug track goes into there with only a minor mod of knipping the lugs where they hit the tunnel protectors but you can just run it in and they will wear off pretty quick as well. this is un studded of course.

i have used both the composit and camso 1.25" tracks in my dads 05 sx venture 700 and find the composit grabs better in loose conditions vs the ripsaw (camso) and i still run the ripsaw on a few sleds. i do not like the ripsaw II at all as i have one on my 16 xtx and brother has one on my old 05 rx warrior.

Thank you very much for the reply and WELL explained. I have a couple more questions if you may know the answer. I was looking at the sled last night and around the upper corner by the exchanger I have about 5/8" clearance above the 1" track that is in it now. I am looking at the Camso Cobra track, it has some high ratings for on trail and powder flotation and that track is 1.32 ish
You mention I may have to trim the lugs. If it has to be trimmed does it end up needing every single one trimmed or just outside edges?
Sorry for all the questions I just want to do this right for the wife so she has more confidence in the powder when she is following me on my 700 M Max.
With that being said, did they ever put 8 tooth drivers on from factory meaning is that something I could get easily OR would I be better off getting some aftermarket from Wahl "anti-ratchet.
If I do go with smaller drivers would I be able to fit the 1.5" camso intense in there? Does it give it enough room?

Thank you very much for the reply and WELL explained. I have a couple more questions if you may know the answer. I was looking at the sled last night and around the upper corner by the exchanger I have about 5/8" clearance above the 1" track that is in it now. I am looking at the Camso Cobra track, it has some high ratings for on trail and powder flotation and that track is 1.32 ish
You mention I may have to trim the lugs. If it has to be trimmed does it end up needing every single one trimmed or just outside edges?
Sorry for all the questions I just want to do this right for the wife so she has more confidence in the powder when she is following me on my 700 M Max.
With that being said, did they ever put 8 tooth drivers on from factory meaning is that something I could get easily OR would I be better off getting some aftermarket from Wahl "anti-ratchet.
If I do go with smaller drivers would I be able to fit the 1.5" camso intense in there? Does it give it enough room?
If you aren't running studs, the cobra 1.325 should work if you remove any heat exchanger protectors that may be there even with the stock drivers.

There will be more clearance with eight tooth drivers, but you will also need to change the gearing in your chaincase to compensate, so I would try to stay with stock.

with the smaller drivers, it should fit with no issues on the cooler at the front witch is the biggest concern.

Leave the drivers alone. Remove heat exchanger protectors and run the cobra 1.35. Ran this track on both my vipers and absolutely loved them on and off trail. They still look new years later and have been ridden hard. Depending on what ya wana do the 1.6 cobra comes in a 2.52 I believe which will fit also. Same height for most part as 1.5.

I just remembered that in 1998 Yamaha offered a 700 powder special that came with a 1.5 track and used the same 9 tooth drivers as the other models.

Back