2001 yamaha srx 700 triple loss of power

azrialle

ive got a 2001 yamaha srx 700 triple with the red head. the last ride i went on last year the sled was acting strange. ill try to explain it the best i can. the sled starts as it always does, idles fine, and accelerated as it normally does. but while just cruising steady throttle. didn't matter what throttle position just holding it steady it would lose power in a sense. then i would have to pin it and it would come out of it for a bit then back to the change in power. a decrease in power in a sense almost like it was falling on its face but not as hard. in the woods around turns everything was fine as i wasn't holding the throttle in a steady position.

i plan on rebuilding the carbs in general before the snow flies and looking to rebuild the clutches as they need it. if anyone's got any place they suggest for parts would be a great help. but as the sled is 3 hours from me figure ill throw this out there for a few things to look at before i go up and start taking everything apart.

Sounds like you’re on the right track. I’m assuming you mean sxr as those are the “red heads”. SRX has power valves and that would be something to check also. How many miles? Have you done a compression check? Reeds would also cause this. Easy enough to check with carbs out.

Yes sxr mix that up more times than I'd like to admit. Sneakin up on 6k miles. Did a compression test at the beginning of last year with around 120 in each cylinder. Going to do the compression test next time I'm up there and a leak down test. You can rebuild the reeds as well right? Might as well do that while I'm in there.

I had a thought the other day of possibly the throttle position sensor. But it feels more mechanical. But I've read a couple things of the tps being problems in certain cases. Never really worked on yamahas over the years so not sure about most of it

I second Maims suggestion of checking the clutches. Focus on the weights as they often get grooved from cruising at constant speeds. What's the fuel mileage like? If you can still get new main nozzles change them also as they can cause mid range running issues because they're worn out.

yeah i figured as much i know it needs clutch work for sure. actually makes quite a bit of sense to be honest with how it was acting.
the fuel mileage is around 12 mpg if i recall correctly.... im not sure what the average should be

that fuel milage is at the lower end of the range for a yammy tripple as i tend to be 12-15 mpg when running a sx venture with the viper engine.

I know it's been a bit but been busy and with the lack of snow this year haven't rushed anything. Figure I'll update and I've got another question. The primary spring was broken. So that would explain the change in power without the motor changing in sound as the clutch was not engaging properly. I went through the carbs not a spec of anything in any of then which is nice.

But I've just changed the track on the sled as well and I've noticed there is no shims on the axle side of the secondary. I can't find any diagrams that show there needing shims there. So the secondary moves in and out slightly.There is 3 shims and a washer on the bolt side. I read some where it's a "self aligning" clutch designing. So that's why there is a bushing on the bolt side for the secondary to shimmy on its my assumption. As the belt isn't showing any strange wear patterns after 1300 miles or so i've ride since i got it I'm assuming that is how it's supposed to be? It makes sense in a way to me but never seen this before.

I know it's been a bit but been busy and with the lack of snow this year haven't rushed anything. Figure I'll update and I've got another question. The primary spring was broken. So that would explain the change in power without the motor changing in sound as the clutch was not engaging properly. I went through the carbs not a spec of anything in any of then which is nice.

But I've just changed the track on the sled as well and I've noticed there is no shims on the axle side of the secondary. I can't find any diagrams that show there needing shims there. So the secondary moves in and out slightly.There is 3 shims and a washer on the bolt side. I read some where it's a "self aligning" clutch designing. So that's why there is a bushing on the bolt side for the secondary to shimmy on its my assumption. As the belt isn't showing any strange wear patterns after 1300 miles or so i've ride since i got it I'm assuming that is how it's supposed to be? It makes sense in a way to me but never seen this before.
There is a spec for the amount of free play

Back