1979 ET 250 Carb rebuild

iahacker

Anyone have any tips for rebuilding the Keihin pumper carb on a 1979 ET 250?
Carefully installed a rebuild kit and now can't get it to pump any fuel.
Been a long time since I worked on one of these.

Yes, choke works fine. I didn't do any type of modification to the parts that came in the kit.

Patients pays off: Left the sled site over night, quick shot of starting fluid and it fired right up. Again, choke works fine.
Played with the diaphragm adjustment on the bottom and the screw on the top trying to tune it to run clean. Only two adjustments I see. Not real sure how these two adjustments balance each other out. Seems that the screw adjuster on top is an air bleeder so, more turns out leans top end as well as idle as far as I can tell.
Now, just have to wait cold weather and snow to get a final test and tune done.
Last time I messed with carbs like this was my 1975 GPX 433!

Yes, choke works fine. I didn't do any type of modification to the parts that came in the kit.

Patients pays off: Left the sled site over night, quick shot of starting fluid and it fired right up. Again, choke works fine.
Played with the diaphragm adjustment on the bottom and the screw on the top trying to tune it to run clean. Only two adjustments I see. Not real sure how these two adjustments balance each other out. Seems that the screw adjuster on top is an air bleeder so, more turns out leans top end as well as idle as far as I can tell.
Now, just have to wait cold weather and snow to get a final test and tune done.
Last time I messed with carbs like this was my 1975 GPX 433!
Why does it need starting fluid?

Back