Lower Driveshaft Bearing (PTO side) Issues

rudim_86

Hello,

I’m currently trying to replace the track on my 1997 Vmax 700 SX, and I’ve got the lower driveshaft ready to come out. The only thing preventing this from happening is a stuck bearing on this shaft. (This is located on the secondary clutch side of the machine, where the speedometer cable assembly is located.) The bearing looks to be some sort of sleeved bearing with two Allen-key set screws keeping it on the shaft. So, I took the set screws out and sprayed it with PB Blaster, and I can’t get it out - I suspect it’s rusted to the shaft.

What should I do now? Do I try to use some sort of special puller? (I’m worried about this because the speedometer pin is on the end of the shaft and I don’t want to break it).

OR do I take off the rivets attaching this plate that’s retaining the bearing? If I did that, how do you get these rivets out? Can I replace these without causing permanent damage?

Or is there some other method you guys do?

Please see the attached picture, it includes the bearing, and the rivets I’m talking about (2 rivets).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks much.

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 4

Destroy the outer race. Then it will fit through the hole and you can remove the inner race on the workbench where it's much easier to work on.
Your idea of removing the inner flange will work also, then rivet it back on after.

Destroy the outer race. Then it will fit through the hole and you can remove the inner race on the workbench where it's much easier to work on.
Your idea of removing the inner flange will work also, then rivet it back on after.
I got it out. I didn't realize the speedometer key just slides out (hopefully it wasn't bad that I removed it, can that key be removed?). I went to Harbor Freight and bought a small puller, that did the trick - bearing is still in one piece too.

yes speedo key can be removed.

last one that was that stubborn i cut off with a death wheel on a die grinder.

Check that bearing very carefully. Any rough spots replace it now, they don't cost that much. If it's good, remove the seal and replace the grease.

I’d definitely not re use that bearing unless you want to be in there in the next years time or less. All Balls bearing kit isn’t super expensive and would be worth doing while it’s apart.

Back