Stator Resistance

Venture2up

Hello All,
I am looking for a confirmation of the stator / charge coil resistance specs.... For my 1997 Yamaha Venture TR 480. I am experencing no spark, I have replaced the CDI and also have measured the coil, pulsar, kill switch, key and TORs. Those all check out.

The Manual I have says Charge Coil Resistance 530 ohms +/- 10% at 20 degrees. I am measuring 295 and have checked this with a few different multimeters and get the same results.

I have found some used replacements and I just want to ensure I am getting the correct readings and referencing the proper specs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Stator3.jpg
    Stator3.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Stator2.jpg
    Stator2.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Stator1.jpg
    Stator1.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 1

Hello All,
I am looking for a confirmation of the stator / charge coil resistance specs.... For my 1997 Yamaha Venture TR 480. I am experencing no spark, I have replaced the CDI and also have measured the coil, pulsar, kill switch, key and TORs. Those all check out.

The Manual I have says Charge Coil Resistance 530 ohms +/- 10% at 20 degrees. I am measuring 295 and have checked this with a few different multimeters and get the same results.

I have found some used replacements and I just want to ensure I am getting the correct readings and referencing the proper specs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure that's the right resistance? I think it's 300.
Do a peak voltage test. Should have 200-225 AC volts while cranking. Brown to Black wire.
Pickup coil specs are 200 ohms.
White with green tracer to white with red tracer.

Are you sure that's the right resistance? I think it's 300.
Do a peak voltage test. Should have 200-225 AC volts while cranking. Brown to Black wire.
Pickup coil specs are 200 ohms.
White with green tracer to white with red tracer.
I'm not totally sure, I am unable to do a peak voltage test as Its a pull start, I measure 210 on my pickup coil. and I measure 295 black to brown

I thought all ventures had electric.
Just pull the rope fast with spark plugs out.
Have you checked the air gap for the pulsar coil?
Have you held the throttle on while checking for spark?

I thought all ventures had electric.
Just pull the rope fast with spark plugs out.
Have you checked the air gap for the pulsar coil?
Have you held the throttle on while checking for spark?
The TR did not come with stock electric start the XL did come stock.
I did not check the gap for the pulsar coil, I believe that should be gapped at 10thou?. I have held the throttle on as well. Also tried disconnecting the kill switch and ignition switch and all the same results. I have a spark tester and only the faintest light like so faint I need to shut all the lights off in the shop to see it.

Do the peak voltage test with spark plugs out pulling the recoil rope.
Great I’ll try that once I put the motor back in the sled. I made rookie mistake the manual I was referencing was the incorrect one and I just downloaded the correct one and now my readings are making more sense. Except the ignition coil is out of spec.

UPDATES.
Before Christmas I bought a 97 Venture and the previous owner had it at a shop and they diagnossed it to be a bad stator, and had bought a used one off ebay.

Considering how tight the engine bay is, I decided to pull the engine out to change it. Once I got the engine out I noticed the replacement stator he had bought was the incorrect one. So I doubled checked the maunal he gave me as well and was still getting inconclusive results. Later that evening I was flipping through the manual and noticed the stator looked different on a few pages.... low and behold he bought the wrong manual as well..... I found the correct one online and sure enough my stator is GOOD so is the pickup coil. All rechecked results pointed to a bad ignition coil. I opted to order OEM as the aftermarket ones in my exerience are no good.

While waiting for parts I decided to ultrasonic clean the carbs, check the fuel pump, replace all the fuel lines and clean up and polish the whole engine area.

I received the new OEM coil and put everything back together and she fired up right away. I'm sure happy I did a little extra reading and research before throwing away money at parts I didn't need.

Lessons Learned...... Don't trust the previous owner and the paper trail they have.

Also, a big thank you to those that responded to my previous questions.

IMG_6685.jpgIMG_6684.jpg

Back