03 srx 700 triple secondary clutch

azrialle

i've got a 2003 srx 700 triple i just grabbed. always liked yamaha but this would be my first owned. so i just replaced the track on the it and replaced a broken spring in the primary. as for the secondary it will not sit still per say. i've read some where its a "self aligning" design. it should have some play in and out on the axle shaft. when i look at diagrams i don't see any shims on the axle before the secondary. the bolt has 3 shims, a big washer, and an aluminum bushing. i can see a little miss coloring on the bushing from where the clutch slides and is not set solid inside the clutch when bolted. not quite sure the idea between the shims being there but just curious what this setup is and if i should find some shims to throw on the axle to hold the clutch in place.

Last edited:

2003? You mean 2002? There was no SRX made in 2003.
i've got a 2003 srx 700 triple i just grabbed. always liked yamaha but this would be my first owned. so i just replaced the track on the it and replaced a broken spring in the primary. as for the secondary it will not sit still per say. i've read some where its a "self aligning" design. it should have some play in and out on the axle shaft. when i look at diagrams i don't see any shims on the axle before the secondary. the bolt has 3 shims, a big washer, and an aluminum bushing. i can see a little miss coloring on the bushing from where the clutch slides and is not set solid inside the clutch when bolted. not quite sure the idea between the shims being there but just curious what this setup is and if i should find some shims to throw on the axle to hold the clutch in place.
There should be a few washers on the front side. Can you post a picture?

Just for info for descriptions sake. The upper shaft the secondary clutch mounts on is called the "Jackshaft" and the lower shaft that drives the track is called the "Axle shaft"
The secondary on your vintage sled was allowed to float back and forth on the jackshaft to allow the belt to self align. If you go to a parts website like Partzilla and look at the parts diagram for your sled and "secondary sheave" it should show the proper components and assembly order.

Back