1998 SRX 700 Tie Rod Replacement

tylershg

Hello, Everyone

I am looking for some help replacing the "tie rod" or "steering rod" on my SRX. I bought the sled used and I am fixing all the little issues I have found. The only one remaining is the tie rod that will be in the picture below. Just wanting to know the whole process of removal and re-install, and if there will be any calibration after it is in. Thanks in advance! Also sorry about image quality, I couldn't upload in original quality. 20240216_131249-min.jpg

Hello, Everyone

I am looking for some help replacing the "tie rod" or "steering rod" on my SRX. I bought the sled used and I am fixing all the little issues I have found. The only one remaining is the tie rod that will be in the picture below. Just wanting to know the whole process of removal and re-install, and if there will be any calibration after it is in. Thanks in advance! Also sorry about image quality, I couldn't upload in original quality. View attachment 67705
The flat spot where it is bent is for a 10mm wrench to fit. However, you may also have to use a vice grip as it looks rusty.
Be aware that one end is left hand thread. When replacing it thread both ends in the same amount.
To align you need a straight bar long enough to lay on the floor from the rear axle to the front carbide bolts.
Sit on the machine and position the bars so they feel straight. Lay the bar tight against the track. Measure from the bar to the furthest front and furthest rear carbide studs that stick through the skis. Total toe-out should be about 1/16 to 3/16. Neither ski should have toe-in.

Awesome I got to that point so far. The only thing I'm have an issue with now is the clamp that connect to the tube from the ski. I loosened the bolt and spread it apart with screwdriver but it feels like it is stuck on some way. Thanks for the help!

Awesome I got to that point so far. The only thing I'm have an issue with now is the clamp that connect to the tube from the ski. I loosened the bolt and spread it apart with screwdriver but it feels like it is stuck on some way. Thanks for the help!
Bolt has to be right out if you want to take that off.
But that doesn't have to come off.

the only reason I had to take it off was because the previous owner turned it in one notch to counteract the bent rod. I got everything all straight and aligned now!!

the only reason I had to take it off was because the previous owner turned it in one notch to counteract the bent rod. I got everything all straight and aligned now!!
Ok great. If you look closely there is a punch mark on the arm and also the shaft/spindle.

I just matched what the other one was. It looked stock because there was still room for adjustment if needed.

Back