Venture 600 darting

1sickviper02

my dad has a 00 venture 600 and i took it out last night because the girlfriend wanted to ride and i noticed that it darts real bad on the trails and the left ski shoots a steady line of snow up and hits me in the arm while the right one doesn't...think there is anything wrong with it? or is not toe'd out enought?

I forget which skis were on that sled but check the following . . .
  1. Carbide condition
  2. Ski damage
  3. Bushing wear
  4. Camber
  5. Spring settings
  6. Steering alignment and toe-in
  7. Ski bumper in good condition and in place
If all checks out then check for forward ski-bias. You may need to shim the rear of the ski bumpers to keep the leading edge of the carbide from plowing.

The 2000 came stock with the steel skis. My fathers 2000 Vmax 600 darted ALOT untill I put some shim under the rubber as per the article on the tech pages. http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/SKIS.html
His still needs more shim but what he has helped mucho. My 2000 Venture had the plastic skis on it when I bought it, but the previous owner put them on after he bought it new. It has the "S" rubber bumper on them but I need to add shim to them as well. With new carbides for the last trip, the leading inch of carbide has been worn down while the trailing edge still looks almost new, IE, too much front bias.

try the shim trick, WELL worth it. just did it yesterday. worked so well I have to do it to the other 3 sleds in the garage :)

go to http://www.snowtracker.com/snowtracker/mounting.html I swear that sled will go dead straight at any speed any condition...puts dual runner skis to shame...straighter than my friends rev.. I have them on both my srx's and if your in quebec and you start checking out skies you will see a lot of sleds with them... eliminates darting "completely" no b.s. I didn't believe it until I ran out of options trying to fix the darting on my 00srx and finally broke dwn and bought them....wish I had them when I have my vmax4's ...

yeah, my dealer has those and likes them, but says not for aggresive riding as it wont be as sharp. I have tried ski doo precision and just tried simmons...simmons is far better. more aggresive and a zero darting. I am saving for them over summer. that and a ripsaw and I think the viper will be transformed...

Back