Reed cage question

speedracer

Does anyone know the difference between the power valved reed cages and the non-powervalved ones. Will the SRX cages work in a SX-R? I have a set of Boysen reeds that fit the SRX and Viper that I would like to use in a SX-R. If I get a set of power valved reed cages can I put the Boysen reeds in them and use them in a non power valved motor?

they will fit with some light grinding on the sides of the case. i used stock ones on the sx i have for sale. the stock srx reeds use the same reed stopper but it is mounted about 1/8in closer so when you do the reed knotch on it it is even more out of the way than the sx reed knotch.

i would say i took about 1/16in off each side of the case where the tip of the reed cage goes in.

what about this....getting a set of vforce2 reed cages for REALLY cheap (basically free) from a sx-r tripple..and using them in a 02 viper?

I believe the vforce reeds are the same for both valved and non-valved motors, meaning they should interchange. that's just going from memory tho and it's been a couple years since I dealt with a non-valved motor

reeds fit??

I have a set of SRX reeds on the way from Sxviper32 for my 700SX, am i abel to grind on the reed cages or do I have to grind the cases.

If you grind on the cases can it be done in the sled with the crank still in place?? How would you grind with out getting stuff in the bottom??? use a shop vac as you grind??

could use a file and go slow, rub some grease in the passages to catch the filings, then just pull it out on a shop towel.

elsewise, ya shopvac and a grinder might work, chancy tho.

I would definately be worried about filings falling into the case. No doubt i would do this by hand, with a lot of grease on that file.

so i do have to grind on the cases not on the reed cages.

I was told I could take some off the cages to get the SRX reeds into my SX motor. I'm thinking this is not the case now.

Tod

cages are awfully delicate things to be grinding, I've cracked them before just handling them, I don't think you can take them out.atleast not if you want the reeds to last more than a couple hours

Thats what I thought after looking at my SX reed assemblies but i bought a set of SRX ones and I do not want to grind on my cases. Do not want to take the chance of getting something in the bottom end when there is no reason to take the motor out and my crank is fine.

I will have to look at the part numbers and see if the reed pedals and stoppers are the same. I think the stoppeers are the same but not the pedals.

Tod

Back