99 SX 500 Engine Failure

bulldiesel

Thoughts ??

I was riding the other day and my sled seemed to loss power between 5000 - 6000 RPM but in the higher RPM's the power was there. I ran a bit more and when going up a hill the motor stalled. I went to pull it over and it was seized.
I trailered it back to the shop and they freed it by moving the primary back and forth and then it started. Check plugs and one looked lean, check compression and one side was 135 & the lean one was 115.
The guys took it in the shop and decided the cause was the oil pump. I got the pump and both pistons replaced ( 4000 miles ) at the cost of $ 1200 Cdn.

I get sled back and in the forth hour of riding the same thing happened. Siezed again. It appears to having been taking oil and I was still in break in mode and had extra oil in the first tank of gas...

It is now back in the shop and they are looking at it...

Idea's ??

bull...

keep us posted... my 99 500 has just kicked over 4000 miles and I would like to know where to look for problems before they occur...

is there a known issue with oil pumps on these sleds? anyone?..

tj..

Just spoke to dealer and they say the primary clutch failed this time and needs to be rebuilt. ( weights, rollers, etc )

Appearantly they did a leak down test and compression test on the motor today and it is fine. I did fall behind in clutch maintenance.

TJ500
I would definitely have a look at the oil pump because you don't get much warning before a seizure occurs. Changing the pump would save you alot of money.
I can send you a pic of my failed pump if you wish.

bull... a pic or two would be great and appreciated...

my email is eschafer@mts.net

I have just in the last while noticed a decrease in oil consumption... I know that it used more when newer and had no real explanation why... Maybe this could be the problem...

Does whole motor need removal to get to the pump?...

thanks TJ..

as the mikuni pumps fail they actually go to full stroke by default to prevent engine damage. Unless maybe there is a pinched line or something?

TJ500

Here is a pic of the pump. The area that is in red should be a rectangle and as you can see if looks as if it was milled down. It appears concave...I am told this it do to heat and wear and tear. When it looks like this the motor ends up running lean hence the problem I had.

Pump is easy to see if you open the hood and look to the ride side of the motor and push the throttle. Pump is easy accessible.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the pic...

does any one know what actually drives this pump?... from the fiche it looks like it's bolted to the housing where the water pump and water pump belt are located (not driven by the crank)... just wondering what would cause wear like that and remove so much metal..

tj.

never have a rich condition with warmer weather... jetting is spot on my baseline all the time... helps fuel milage when riding in warmer weather only however since doesn't start to lean until -20 or so (I think)... The best money I could have spent for both the 500 and 700..

how is that oil pump driven? doesn't appear to be crank driven?

thanks tj

bulldiesel said:
Thoughts ??

I was riding the other day and my sled seemed to loss power between 5000 - 6000 RPM but in the higher RPM's the power was there. I ran a bit more and when going up a hill the motor stalled. I went to pull it over and it was seized.
I trailered it back to the shop and they freed it by moving the primary back and forth and then it started. Check plugs and one looked lean, check compression and one side was 135 & the lean one was 115.
The guys took it in the shop and decided the cause was the oil pump. I got the pump and both pistons replaced ( 4000 miles ) at the cost of $ 1200 Cdn.

I get sled back and in the forth hour of riding the same thing happened. Siezed again. It appears to having been taking oil and I was still in break in mode and had extra oil in the first tank of gas...

It is now back in the shop and they are looking at it...

Idea's ??

What did you do to fix it? I got the same problem.. My sx500r lose power between 5000-6000 rpm, but in the higher rpm its normal.. When iam going up a long hill its like the motor is dying.. Clutch weights are orginal..

Back