performance

bigdaddyjak

some buddies, and i were riding, and we came to an old airstrip, and we all lined up and did about 4 drags across the field , i am the least experienced , as this is my first yr of sledding, well Ihave a 97mm 700, there was 800rev,mxz670,600summit,and a 98 thundercat1000,and an mxz600,all in which are 02 or newer. well i beat all of them off the line and half way through the race they all passed me except the mxz 600, every time. my question is , because my sled is much older why they all beat me on top end, or there just better performers top end ? also I weigh 300lbs so that is probably part of the reason?
Thanks.

Your sled has the lowest hp of all the sleds you raced. That might factor into the equation!!!

Also it is weather ir not they had special modifications like cans or pipes. I also thinkthat you beat them of the line and not on top end is because your sled my be geared for the torque and not the top end. do you have a aftermarket track because i know with my viper i have a ripsaw and i gained a lot of hook up but lost 2 or 3 mph on top end so every thing you do is a trade off in this buisness but for the ripsaw hook up and trackion on the trail i am happy with it. :WayCool:

Mountain sleds are typically geared a lot lower than trail sleds. If your sled has a 2" track, it's probably got 8-tooth drivers and tops out about 65-70, If you still have the stock 1.5" track, it's got 9-tooth drivers and probably gets to about 75-80. The lower gearing is why you get them all out of the hole to about 1/8 mile, thier taller gearing is why they blow by you after that.

Both reasons cound realistic to me , turk and wierdal . It does have the stock11/2 track on it. As for it being the least amount of hp, that kinda surprises me that the 600, and 670 have more hp , thanks guys

All in all i guess im good to go, considering it is my first sled, and i have hit 90mph on it i was just curious as to why the smaller sleds were able to beat me, one of them was a 01 mxz 600 and i smoked him.

no top end

Well if you want yours to come to life put a set of pipes on it and BAM , instant 30 horse . You do the clutching mods to match your weight (300lbs.) add pipes and a 1 tooth bigger small gear to gain some top end . But with the top end gained you loose that power for the mountains and climbing . So it depends on your preference . I rode a buddies MM 700 a couple days ago with pipes and clutch work........OH and reeds . WOW what a difference , mine is stock with a few simple mods , but his is so much snappier and he too has the bigger gear for all the trail riding here . He gets like 95 top speed , and with the pipes and clutch set up he has , he doesn't loose much off the line . I was really amazed at the difference made by a little extra work and money . good luck

Thanks bowtie , I guess, i would rather have the hole shot than top end anayways, so i will have to look into it. Also at the local dealer here they have an 03 MM 700 leftover with a price tag of $4500, thinking about purchasing it, also they had a 01 sx 700 which was a demo model for 3200.They sound like good deals to me

That is what mine is geared for because when you ever are going to race someone it is usually on a wide spot in a trail and thats when the lower gearing comes into play but you lose with that when your on the lake so it is really all a trade off unfortunatlly :neutral: unless you do the triple pipes ;)!

Back