1979 srx 440 quetions

mercracing75

Hello,
Newcomer to the site. I normally run Merc sleds so Im kinda new to the yamaha thing. anyway I have a chance to pick up a 79 srx 440. I want to set it up for 600 ft ice and grass drags. I can pick it up for $500.00 bucks. it has a cracked hood and dented belly pan. Just wanderirng if this is a good deal. Like I said earlier I normally run Trail Twisters, and have one set up for racing. I wanted to get into the liquid class but a 76 sno-twister is way out of my price range. Just wondering if this 79 srx is somewhat competitive or not. I here alot about the 76 and 77 srx but not the 79. Is it worth it or not. Years back I rode a buddy of mines 77 srx at a ice drag get together one afternoon. He told me she comes in at around 7000 rpm. but the tack didnt work. I sat on it like a normal snowmobile with my feet foward. and grabbed a hand full. well you can probably guess what happened. Thats right, I found myself laying on my back. I guess ever since then I was hooked. Anyway, if you have any imput that would be great. Thanks

I have had all year SRX's. I really like the 79 it and the 78 are the same sled just different color. The 76 was a great drag sled and the 77 is the king. They were all aluminum and really ran hard. You can't go wrong for 500 if it's in any kind of condition.

$500 is a good price forr any vintage srx in running condition.
make sure it has good compresion in each cylinder. are the cylinders original crome bore or have they been sleaved with cast iron bore sleaves?

cylinders are oem. Did'nt check compression yet, but owner said it's good and runs good. Have'nt bought it yet, Im waiting for some guy to come over and pick up one of my other sleds before I get this one. No room in the stable. Hey guys thanks for the input, Any other suggetions for setting this thing up for drags? 660ft.
Thanks, Mark

First thing to do is change the primary clutch to a comet 102c, gear it for distance, and set up belt deflection tight. There is only 2 helix available for the early srx rear clutch, I think I still have both of them if you need one. When I ran these in the drags, I had a conversion shaft made and ran a arctic cat rear clutch, really woke up the sled because I could have a never ending supply of helix to tune with. For drag racing, Youll want to engage it well over 5500rpm and run it to 9200rpm. When you race port these you run them at 10,200rpm, this ws with Aaen mod pipes, big carbs(44mm), cut heads, shortened manifolds, they can still run a very respectable time when set up right. When you get it let me know, I probally still have my clutch set ups from my 79 racer.

Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know when I get this thing, probably in a couple weeks. where do you live? I'm from casco, WI. Im Looking foward to make this thing go.
Thanks again

Back