Too many RPMs after gear change?

AK 700SX

I changed the gearing on my 98 700SX to 20/40, I like the way it feels, but I need to bring the RPMs down. Do I just need to change the primary spring to the MM spring, or is there something else I need to do?

How much do you need to bring it down? when I regeared my 97 600, I had to add heavier rivets to the weights and change spring.

I'm not sure how many RPMs it's turning to tell you the truth, I haven't wanted to push it that far, but I'm sure it needs to come down about 500RPMs.

you need to look and see what it is revving when its wide open, or we can't tell you what or how much to do to bring it down.

are you piped? Also, is it only over revving like that on top end, when the clutches fully shifted out, or all the way through? Reason i ask is because a gearing change will not change your rpm's much on the way through the powerband, but will change the rpms on top end a lot once the clutches are already shifted out. If your over revving all the way through you will have to add more weight to the rivets in the primary to get the r's down. (or use a primary spring with a lower rate)

Back