81 SRX 440 on ebay

$1525 means the owner came out pretty good on that sale but so did the buyer. When I found it the bid was already over reserve at $910 so he got more then he really expected to I think. If I had a mint 81 SRX 440 that ran well and was all original like that I would not let it go for that price. Those were the last of the SRX 440's and have a significant place in Yamaha sled history in my opinion.

I would not have sold it that cheap either if it was mine, I had an offer of $1000.00 for my old 1983 enticer and turned it down, last year for them and i have two, one is mint, couldn't let it go......Love my Yammy colection.. and will never sell any.......

The 81 SRX's are truly getting hot. I have sold several and continue to get people asking me if I have some for sale. So many guys that are 30-45 years old remember these sleds growing up and dreamed of owning one. I, like many, could careless if they had lots of recalls we just wanted one. The fact is they looked just kick ***. So many of the 81's are junked out or in pieces that finding a mint one is truely a find. $1500 was a strong price but from what I know this sled should be topping close to $2000 grand. I expect this sled to be hitting $3000 in the next five years based on demand being so strong. Be wary of nice sleds with blown engines or bad cranks. Crank rebuilds run $350 and if you have to fix the gear housing on the end of the crank expect a nightmare of parts and labor cost.

Check out www.retrosno.com to see some pictures of my 81 and 82 SRX 500

Finding one without a blown crank would be a real find. From what I remember they had any number of crank, waterpump, clutch or motor problems. Most of the guys I knew of that had those sleds were actually taking the motors out and replacing with SS 440 fan engines just to be able to ride the coolest lookin' sled on the snow back then.

Didn't all the motor problems start in 79 on those? Seems that I remember things just got worse from 79 on and the 82's were finally yanked right off the floor, especially after the flack Yamaha took for the "Beat thy Neighbor" ads. That was the coolest ad I ever saw and the pc morons had to make a deal of it. Shame!

yeah the 82's were bad but all year srx's were unreliable, they arent' trail sleds, but since 77 the HP dropped and they did get heavier trying to get them a bit more trailable, I have an 80 model, i think the most reliable one there was, also the slowest...... but they all look good, especially the 81 model.... anyone know the weight on the 81 model, was told my 80 weighed in at 410 pounds

Whenever I smell a burning belt my mind flashes a picture of the 80 SRX I wanted so bad but never got(the gold tunnel was a gem). I never personally encountered a SRX until 79 but all I remember is they smoked belts left and right if they were required to move even 2 ft. A neighbor up at the lake had a 1980 and I remember watching him doinf throttle blasts across the lake and man was that thing FAST.

I guess what some guys considered the fix for the SRX problems was a heavier flywheel.

I'm going to do Exciter,Enticer,SS440 (76-85) restorations instead. That is what I rode back then and I loved them. I've got a 81 Enticer 340 deluxe in the garage now that needs some attention. Might have a good line on a 83 SS 440 for free too. I'm gonna try putting struts on the SS I think.

Back