Help! 95 Vmax suspension won't go back in

uperjim

Need help! I removed the suspension in my 95 V-max to replace the shock and am having problems getting it back in. I have the front arm bolts in but can't get the rear holes (3 holes in each side plate) lined up. What is the trick?? Should I remove the limiter straps? I did remove the rear axel to get the front lined up. Please help!!

Do you have the middle section bolted up?
Keep the front and middle bolts loose till you get the back bolts in. I never have to take the rear axle out. I don't mess with the straps either.I just loosen the track as much as possible. Some say taking the nuts off the transfer rods help. I usually have the rear of the sled in the air and have a jack under the track to help get it in place. It's a bugger , but you can get it.

I had problems with my RX1 skid too and was told to loosen that transfer rods. I thought I had loosened the right bolts but hadn't. The bolts to loosen are the ones on the end of the transfer rods and not the ones that you use to adjust the transfer itself. You don't have to take them right out, loosen them an inch or more, then just drop the sled down until the bolt and holes line up. You may have to position the skid by hand a bit but it should line up quite easily, you shouldn't have to force it. Of course this all depends on weather the Vmas skid is the same or similar, I think it is. If you need pics, I can try to post some later on. Hope this helps.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 95 Vmax didn't have transfer rods to loosen did they??? As for putting the suspension back in, usually lifting and lowering the tunnel over the suspension eventually got the holes to line up, but it has been a while since I've done one of those.

On the 95 suspension if the rear limiter is pulled short the install becomes a bitch. Make sure track adjusters are all the way forward and just raise and lower the back of the sled till you can get the forward od the 3 back bolts in. Once you have those 2 in, just lower it till the other 2 line up. If you cannot get the rear to line up loosen the rear limiterall the way and readjust it after the suspension is bolted in. If it feels like you're fighting the rear spring to make it line up the problem is the limiter. Did you put the same length shock in???

Last edited:

Back