Help advice on 2000 vmax 500

smeekhof

I just purchased a 2000 vmax 500 over the 4th weekend. I have searched the forum and did not find much info on this model of sled. Wow do I have questions: Where is a good place to find an owners manual for cheap? There are features on this sled that I am not framilar with. Will the full service manual include most items found in the owners manual?? Also the "ski skins" and carbides need to be replaced should I look at changing to a plastic ski in place of the stock? any advice will be appreciated. Thanks and please make my first post painless

Here is a link to the owner's manual online, better then cheap it's free:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=sport

As for the skis, I would upgrade to a plastic ski. Much better then the stock steel. You can search the classifieds for a set of used OEM plastic skis and/or carbides or even a set of aftermarket. Or do a general search on aftermarket skis. Lots of info on the site about aftermarket skis to help in your decision. By the way, welcome to the site!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. If you need to know anything about your sled ask away and someone on here will know the answer. Definetly upgrade to plastic skis. My wife used to ride a 1998 vmax 500 (we upgraded to a 2002 600 deluxe this year) and plastic skis made a big difference. We put a set on from a 2001 sxr. You should be able to find some used on here for a good price or if you want to spend a few bucks the C&A or Simmons Flexi skis are great. With whatever you put on read the tech section on this site about shimming skis, adding shims makes a big difference in darting and carbide wear. Dave

Back