Fuel problem with SX500R - 2001

sxtheviper

I got an SX500R - 2001 that use about 5liters on the mile.. But i cant find the problem, i have disassembled the carburettor totaly and i have checked the reeds and they are fine..
My yamaha-distributor said that you never get an sx500r to use under 2liters on a mile.. could it be right?? (By the way: iam not very good at writing english, but i hope you understand)

They aren't as good on fuel as any of the triples, but should be better than that. You guys measure in liters per mile? Anyway, if you think fuel consumption is WAY out of line check the fuel pump. I have found more than one of them with sticky diaphragms that allow way too much raw fuel to simply run into the engine. If it is sealing correctly it shouldn't drip much (preferably not at all) when the lines going to the carbs are disconnected. If it is running out of one or both you probably have a bad diaphragm.

I have a 00 sxr and mine is great on oil i usually fill up my oil reservoir once every 200 miles and even then its not bone dry i am just doing it to be on the safe side i would check the actual oil pump since i once had a small leak that could have led to using a lot of oil if not taken care of. all i had to do was take off two small alen head screws from the pump and clean up the o-ring and put it back together and the leak was gone. just my two cents...daneg

Thanks!
Just first about the Liter/mile: i wrote wrong.. 5liters/6.2mile, and just normal driving on tracks ;)!
In norway one mile is 10 000.meter..

yamaholic22 you may be rigth about that, ill try to check it out.

But i dont have my oil pump in order, need some parts to fix it..
Now i just mix 2%-3% oil in the fuel tank, dont think thats a problem?

Back