Leaving the YAMAHA Family

For me reliability and reputation is important.
I owned other sleds, 3 polaris and 1 arctic cat and ride with guys with other brands. My buds polaris last season spent 39 days total in the shop for recalls and warranty. 2 brand new F7 one with blown motor the other blew the track. In my area doo riders had to drive 2 hours for parts and service. Yamaha has a proven record for reliability. When I feel like riding I want my sled in my garage not the dealers.
Yes the skid is not as good as others I agree 100% but I am willing to make that sacrifice for reliability. The one aftermarket shop I deal with is always full of cats and doo's, that is what keeps them in business.
They have told me they very rarely work on Yamaha.

nothing wrong with a doo, there fit and finish is pretty close to yamaha. It was a HARD choice between the 01' SX600R and the MXZ600X when I bought my sled. I went for the tripple cylinder :) , gasmileage, and good ride (after I spent hours adjusting and tweaking the rear skid).

ride

I am a mixed marriege family
my wife has a new 04 rev GSX 1+1 and I have a hard time getting on the yami if she is not going along, I LOVE my 700 srx but since an oil line fell off and took out the pto rod bearing I have been riding the 600 HO rev and I am telling the ride isn't a little better it is unbelieveably better
the rider position is great for my style i always have my legs up under me anyway why not have a sled designed for that style. You better care about milage though becase this thing is awful on gas less than 10mpg
I am bying the jerry can today
did I mention my 99 srx maxx long traveled 136 x 1.25 shaved head thick base gasket is for sale? can you say rev renegad 600HO sdi

Looking at Doo also

I also have a history with Yamaha. 96 Vmax, 99 SRX, 02 Viper. When I bought my Viper, my buddy had just gotten his 02 MXZ-X. We switched sleds one day and I was immediately depressed. His sled took the bumps way better than my Viper and was much more comfortable. Just last week I rode a 600 X SDI Rev and was blown away. The ride was unbelievable and the engine was really smooth for a twin, not to mention he was getting 18 miles per gallon.

I am snow checking a new sled this spring and unless Yamaha really steps up and delivers a nice package (new skid, better riding position, less weight), I will be ordering a REV.

I love Yamaha's quality, but I ride with a bunch of Doo's and I have to say they are not far behind Y.

Later,

BlueYami

I ride a 97 600 twin one of the things i like best about it is the way it starts . warm cold never had a problem . I quit riding for several years because I was fed up with pulling the rope untill I couldn't breath and it still not running . If you are having trouble starting it get it fixed it hasto be way cheaper than buying a new one .

skid

"can you guys explain what is the "skid". first year sleding."

Rear Suspension.

Welcome to the fastest way to get rid of winter.

That is the rear suspension . Polaris is claiming 12 or 14 of travel yamaha is 8 to 10 . Makes them ride smoother .When you stop for fuel there will be aPolaris there wathch when the rider gets on it will sink a lot .
Never riden one so I don't know how good they ride .

Rear suspension travel

Don't be fooled by the inches of travel listed by all of the manufacturers. They all don't list the same measurement. Poo and Cat list total travel of the rear axle, Yam lists vertical travel of the rail, not sure about Doo. Not the same measurements though.

thats all it took, the trail by my house was pretty rough and I kept taking it for a rip and bring it back in the garage and tweaking it. Finally ended up with the Springs set SOFTER than I though they should be. I though it was bottoming out but the susension was actually TOO stiff and was leaving 2-3" of travel unused. Now It rides ALOT better than the stock settings and I Rarely bottom out still, and No broken W-arm yet (even though I pretend to be Blair Morgan all the time :twisted:

Bye Bye!

All I can say is Bye Bye you'll be sorry. Oh yeah and one more thing. If your ready to give on on Yamaha just because of that then your not a real Yamaha Loyalist to begin with!
Ta Ta!!!!!

No, I don't consider myself a Yamaha loyalist. I buy what is best for my situation. I'm not blinded by brand names. If it works for me, feels right, and delivers to my standards, thats what I'll spend my money on.

Why would you do anything else? Because of a name?

Because of a name?

If and when Honda comes out with a sled, thats where ill be heading.

buy for the name YES!!!!! Yamaha means fule economy and reliability.
I use to ride polaris and some freinds ride the doo's, when they stop for gas my machine can go a long time before I need gas. When their machines were in the shop my yamaha was on the trails.
Buy for the name I would say yes.
Trust me I was a diehard polaris guy before.

Back