Pilot Screw Adjustmentr (Lean or Rich?)

Exciterfan

:yam:

I would sure appreciate some clarification relating to the Pilot Adjustment Screw on my Mikuni Flatslides in my 2001 SXR600. I have had people tell me that they are an air adjustment screw and that turning them counterclockwise (i.e. out) will provide more air and lean the mixture. My Clymer manual says the exact opposite (i.e. turning the screw counter clockwise richens the mixture).

I have A slight hard throttle hesitation that I want to eliminate and was planning on richening the pilot adjustment a bit. I want to ensure I go the right direction.

I can see the logic in allowing more air through the Pilot screw resulting in the siphoining of more fuel through the pilot jet (ridhening the mixture).

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks

ExciterFan (moved up!)

yes, your manual is correct

Those are fuel screws on the yamaha carbs, they control the amount of fuel going thru the idle circuit ,the very beginning of the pilot circuit as they overlap, so if you have a lean bog condition, what youd want to do is turn the screw out more then what you have now.

Generally speaking, if the screws are in the rear bell of the carb they are air screws, in front of the carb and they control fuel flow.

Every yamaha (2-stroke) I have owned or tuned has been too lean on the fuel screws. Back when I raced I used remote adjusters and would adjust them all day as the temps and conditions changed. Very important if you want instant throttle responce. ===SRXSRULE===

Back