Replacing primary, how to remove it?. V-Max 600XT

kimoaj

Hi everyone !.

I`m a 20 year`s old boy from the North of Norway, named Joakim. (I ride an RX-1 by the way:) )

Last winter I sold a 1996 V-Max 600XT to a friend. I knew that the rollers and weights were bad, but I promised him that I would change them for him, and so I did. However, after having ridden only 10 kilometers, the rollers were stuck and the performance of the sled was BAD. A new set of rollers and bushings was ordered and replaced, but the same thing happened again.

I told some guys on this forum about the problem and I was told that a bushing inside the sheaves (I guess it`s the one the sheave moves on or something like that) probably was worn out.

We`re sick of buying new parts for this primary, so my friend has now purchased a brand new Comet primary for his sled. The Comet primary came with weights / rollers and everything, does not need to be balanced or anything.

I`m going to help my friend with the primary swopping. I`ve got a primary puller, but I`m wondering if someone could tell me the process of removing a primary from this sled?. I`ve never removed a primary but I have quite much "general" mechanical experience from wrenching motorcycles & cars etc.

It would be very nice if someone could tell me this, I don`t want to ruin anything on his engine or something like that. I`d also appreciate some tips regarding the mounting of the new Comet primary.

:yam:

Thanks

Joakim:)

Just use your puller and it should pop off the crank, ...some folks squirt a dalop of grease in the primary thread before inserting the puller to provide a little hydraulic help for stubborn pulls. Use a large screwdriver throught the primary to stop it from moving while pulling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply OZ ! :)

But maybe you could go a little more in detail for me:) ?.

Like a step by step guide.

Should I just get my wrench and undo the bolt in the middle of the primary?. Then insert the puller, how hard should I tighten it, harder and harder until it pops of?. Or should I do like I do with flywheels and shit, like you tighten the puller alittle and then hammer on it?.

Will it come off fast and bounce in my face or ?.

I`m sorry for beeing picky but I kind of like to know what I`m doing:).

Thanks again

unscrew bolt of primary.........screw in puller until it pops off....thats it dude!

I never did this untill this summer & yammi is telling you like it is! I used a piece of pipe to hold the primary still while I cranked down on the clutch puller, It will just "POP" right off!

if it is an older sled, and the primary hasnt been off in awhile, unscrew the bolt in the center of the primary holding it to the crank shaft. squirt a few pumps of grease from a grease gun as deep in the bolt hole that you can. install the puller "bolt" and tighten the hydrolic pressure will aid in the clutch comming off easier. as you tighten you'll hear the clutch "pop" off. if you have a clutch holder it would be better to use it v.s. a screwdriver but, if that is all you have just be careful. only as a last resort should you ever rap on the puller to pull the primary. you can cause reverberations and damage items in the lower end in the motor. ski

Back