Oil pump questions 97 700SX

Tod

VIP Member
I bought an oil pump from a member that is off a 99 700SX the number on it is 8CR2.

The stock oil pump on my 97 700SX has three places to attached the lines. The 99 oil pump only has two and they do not come out the pump the same. Was there this big of a difference from 97 to 99 on this motor or do I maybe have a different pump??

There are brass fitting for the lines to attach and on the 99 one of them comes straight off and on my 97 this same one is a 90 degree part.

I am at home and cannot do a picture but will be abel to take a pic and post at work on monday.

even the bracket that is screwed to the pump that holds the oil pump cabel is mounted bacwards to my 97????

Tod

My research shows that the 8CR oil pump must be from a 97 600 twin.

I bought this off a member that must of got his pumps mixed up because I have not had any bad dealings on here.

Does anyone need this pump, I was told it has 500 miles on it and that it came off a sled that was totaled. But....he also said that it was off a 99 700SX. I paid 50 for it.

Any way it looks real good but does not match the one on my sled.

Tod

Paul,

what I was trying to do was upgrade the stock oil pump on my 700SX. It now has 7000 miles on it and always seemed to use allot of oil, so I wanted to install a newer one off a newer sled.

Is yours the stock one off your old 97? or is it a newer unit??

I think there were some updates to the pump from 97.

Let me know more about yours.

Tod

Tod,
Have you tried adjusting the oil pump cable?
I would think that the oil usage isn't the pumps fault, I'm sure it operates at a constant rate. The flow of the oil is adjusted and may be a little high.
Greg

Yes i have leaned out the pump.

I am going completely through this sled so the oil pump was just another upgrade as I am doing the top end rebuild.

About the only thing I am not doing is spilting the cases and pulling the motor.

Tod
Hey I was thinking fuel pump. I sold the oil pump with the case. Mine had been changed to the newer model, and I was only using about 1qt every 150 miles. I do have some other stuff though if you need anything. I have a set of the cylinder to case dowls brand new, they are just taking up space here. Give a shout with anything you need. Paul

paul,

I may as well buy your case dowls. I did not order any thinking I would just clean up the ones that are in there. But would be nice to have them just in case. How much??

Tod

Thanks allot Paul, hope to ride with you again this season. Your new ride looks pretty sweet.

Tod Giessler
315 Stratton Way
Decatur IN 46733

I would say that is your problem as well Tod. My '97 SX 700 used a ton of oil. I progressively kept leaning it out, but eventually it was leaned out all the way on the gap and still used over 1 quart per hundred miles. Now my buddy has the sled, and we are going to put the updated oil pump in, and it should use much less oil. The problem is that with the '97 pumps, they wear much quicker on the contact point and progressively go to a default "full open" setting, so they use much more oil.

Thanks Yamaholic22,

Can you confirm that the part number stays the same? So how do you know if you are getting an updated pump?? I do not really want to buy a brand new one. Are you getting new or used??

Tod

I am going to get a used pump. The part number is the same now because all the pumps are updated, you can't get the old junk pumps anymore. How much is a new pump, i haven't even looked into it, but i would just get a used one off a newer sx 600 or 700.

Guys,

I have a pump that came off from a 2000 700 SXR.

Part # 8CH-13100-00-00 is the new pump number, and the cost new from yamaha is $173.06

I will give either of you guys the pump for $70.00 shipped to you house.

This pump came off from a motor the Bishoff bought the cyclinders from, so he can attest to the fact that the pump was working great when pulled from the motor.

Let me know, first one to PM me has 1st dips.

Back