Mikuni Flat Slides (Help)

Exciterfan

Okay, I'm reasonably handy and have taken apart many a carburator in my day (even Tillistons!!), but I'm at a loss on how to get the needle out of the MIkuni Flat slides in my 2001 SXR 600. I've had the carbs apart and cleaned them thoroughly in terms of the pilot jet, main jet, etc. and I did my best to clean the needle jet with carb cleaner, but how do you remove the needle out of the top? I'm not sure it's necessary to take it out for cleaning, but I was intertested to see where the needle jet clip was located (stock or not). I know there must be some simple way, but my Clymer manual doesn't help (it just says "remove the needle"), the Yamaha service manual is useless (don't ever buy one!!), and Olef Aaens carb tunning book doesn't provide enough detail in this area.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!!!

ExciterFan :rocks:

You need to remove the carb top plate. Look down inside and there are 2 allen head bolt tops that will allow you to move the arm off of the slide. Once that is off the needle will come right out. Watch for the small plastic washers, 2 per carb. Maxdlx

So a magnetic Allen wrench would be a valuable investment? Do the washers tend to fall of of the Allen bolts when you try to remove them??

I see that Maximum Performance sells a long Allen screwdriver for this purpose, mIght be the ticket!!

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have any experience stories for me?

Exciterfan

The washers are on the needle jet. there are 2 plastic washers per needle. Can be 1 on top 1 on bottom both oin top or both on bottom. You need the ball end type allen wrench, and just rub it on a magnet every time. maxdlx

yes maxdlx is right you need the ball end, and the one maxx has works great.

Back