Im a nubee, With lots of questions..

Jeepers79

Bear with me, I am a nubee, but plan on learning fast, and hope to learn a lot here.

Just bought a 1996? Yamaha VMax 600 here is all I know this far..

Unit has 2,500 or so miles.
Motor was recetly rebuilt
Has plastic from a new sled on it.

now for some questions...

1) I notice that when I push down on the rear suspension that the sled stays in the 'down' position unless i bring it back up. It does not seem to spring back so to say. I was told this could be a simple adjustment or lube issue, for all the parts 'look' newer, and non rusted.

2) I took the sled out for a quick 'test run' on my buddys front yard. It was an 80 deg day, but I hit the throttle and it seemed to have little power, I never let off full throttle to get it moving at all...

Same day we tested an old Yamaha SRV 540, and that thing had enough power to lift the skis! So not sure whats up with the vmax..

One thing - maybe it was running rich for the guy who rebuilt the motor put a tank of mixed oil / gas IN the tank for a break in period not sure the ratio but perhaps that is causing it to run bad too?

It starts up, one pull every time, sounds decent.

I am having it looked at currently, letting them adjust the belts / suspension basically give it a good once over..

Any suggestions, watchouts or any info on this sled would be awesome!! Thanks again

See more pics here
http://imageevent.com/missak/newsnowmobile;jsessionid=glipag9uw2.zebra_s

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3666.jpg
    IMG_3666.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 12

Hi man !

Congratulations with the new sled! :).
Since the engine was rebuilt not long ago, I assume that the top end is in good shape.
It`s kind of wierd that the sled starts really easy and performs bad. Anyway, the first thing I would do is to change the sparkplugs, if you have run the sled with premix (oil in the gas) the plugs might have some carbon build up or might be fouled soon due to oil build up in the cylinders. Another thing is that you were running the sled in 80 deg, this is way over normal winter temperatures and this will cause the engine to run rich. (the fuel/air mixture gets wrong, it get`s too much fuel).
I guess it could be a combination of oil in the gas and hot temperatures?. But, the sled should perform somewhat "ok" even when ridden in these conditions.

Ask a friend to hold the sleds rear end up in the air, then hit the throttle and listen to the engine, did it rew alot faster/higher then when you rode it?. Could be worn rollers or bad "main" bushing in the primari sheave, a friend of me had that problem. Put your finger on the rollers and try to rotate them, also check if the bushings in the rollers are OK. (should be pretty tight, but the rollers should role fine). If they are ok, try pushing the outer sheave against the inner sheave (just like when the primary engages), try to push the sheave "un-even" to see if the main bushing inside it could be worn.

I`m not that good with sleds but atleast I tried:).

Joakim

And by the way, the suspensions issue might not be a problem at all. On my 1996 XT the rear shock seemed totally dead, but after having ridden some, it suddenly seemed fine! :).

Thanks for the good info. I will look into this if the shop does not find it before then.

It did seem to stop rather quickly, almost as if the breaks were on, Yes I realize I was on grass, not snow but felt as if there was a resistance working against me. Heck the first time I put it on the trailer it took me almost fome full throttle to get it up there, where as that SRV I put next to it, I almost put it right over into my Tahoe when I loaded it up there.. granted the studs dont have much traction on the wood...

Hmm ok sounds wierd but you could check that by letting a friend lift the rear end while you give it throttle. The belt normally rotates a while after you let go of the throttle, should not stop "momentantly". Check if your brake is stuck!. (take your hand on the disc and try to move it, check if it`s hot first;).

When it comes to the trailer loading it can sometimes be a struggle:).

I guess you told the dealer about the problems?. When will you pick it up?:

sandmanmike1 said:
Is it just me or is the pipe off of a 94-95 VMAX 600. The 96 has a larger diameter. Probably just me.

Like I said the 1996 ? It sure could be a 1994 - 1995 sled.. LoL i am not real sure to be honest.

MrSled said:
Welcome to the site. Just to let you know that is a 95. I had the same sled beack then ;)!
:ORC ha ha learn something new every day ;)

Any thoughts on the sled? is it a decent one? Running right, is this a peppy sled?

Its a pretty good sled my brother drove it for 2 or 3 years before we big bored it...it was great for the years it was made. Handiling and rider postion was hard on the tall guys.

Back