smoked an xlt

SRXtrafast

I remember a few years back when the indy xlt 583 was new. My friend and I both rode a V-max, mine an 85 and his an 84 both bought used. Well unfortunately we rode with a group that rode polaris :Moon: and there was this one real cocky guy with the xlt who kept bragging about it. My friend w/the 84 lined up w/ the xlt and I flagged for them. The rest is history, that xlt got smoked :flag: and I mean bad. He went to the edge of the lake after that first and only race and didn't have to much to say. Later on my friend's father asked the xlt owner and asked "Do you think you'll ever get by that YAMAHA?" He said nothing. That V-max was one strong sled :rockon:

I love the 540 V-Maxes. I have a 84 sled in forgh shape and an 83 Chassis. I would like to find a 86 or 87. I had a 1980 SRX that was used for drag racing. I have it for a little while and raced a 99 ZR 600. It was a short run through a field. Guess who WON Yup the SRX 440. The best part was alot of people were there to see it that day.

Last winter we put GYT-R twin pipes to our -96 600 XT and lined it up against our 540 Vmax ( -84 ). Start was pretty even, but when the old 540 got it´s lungs open, it´s was all over. Man that thing flyes! We have bored carbs in it, but otherwise it´s all stock.

We had hard time believing it though...

Ike ;)!

My 1980 SRX is fast too, and it's not clutched up or geared proper yet, I smoked a New 700Viper on the lake three times, buddy couldn't beleive it, he had to take my SRX440 for a ride then, ski's in the air as long as you were on the throttle.....I wish Yamaha was stillin the racing/snow cross circuit. the 1977 Yamaha SRX440 had 100HP stock, and all these years later the biggest baddest latest technology 440 only has 105, not much change, imagine what yamaha could could come up with now? ah, im dreaming again......... :)

Hey guys, don't be afraid to post pics of these sleds, im sure we will all apreciate seeing them.......

Attachments

• SRX3.jpg
    SRX3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 10
  • SRX4.jpg
    SRX4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I still have a 80 SRX. but just a chassis. My plan is to put a 570 Exciter II engine in it. The chassis is in super condition. I also have the 78 SRX. That one is completely stock. Just need to pull out of my basement. That 80 SRX you have is in great shape. Its nice to see the old ones. My main sled is a 01 SRX, but what NY state is going to do to registrations in the next couple of years, well, I am going to stick to my older Yamahas.

you know that has been done before hey? and buddy had lots of problems with it, getting it all ligned up and stuff.....Also, how many HP is the 570? I think it's actually less then the SRX440 motor, maybe more torque, and more HP at a lower RPM.......

Last edited:
Now thats a funny looking 570 exciter engine. It looks more like a 700 tripple to me, unless my eyes are all messed up. My only question it what did you use for gears? and do any of the stock shafts work with the newer gears.

MountainMax said:
My 1980 SRX is fast too, and it's not clutched up or geared proper yet, I smoked a New 700Viper on the lake three times, buddy couldn't beleive it, he had to take my SRX440 for a ride then, ski's in the air as long as you were on the throttle.....I wish Yamaha was stillin the racing/snow cross circuit. the 1977 Yamaha SRX440 had 100HP stock, and all these years later the biggest baddest latest technology 440 only has 105, not much change, imagine what yamaha could could come up with now? ah, im dreaming again......... :)

Hey guys, don't be afraid to post pics of these sleds, im sure we will all apreciate seeing them.......

Comparing a new 440 sno cross sled engine to a 8F2 77 srx engine? Common, huge difference, one being the rpm's on the srx were 9700-10,000 rpms to achieve the 100 h.p. with twin pipes and they are now making more h.p. with a 440 turning 8500 rpms and a single pipe and they make more torque. They will also outlast the old engines as well for durability mostly due to the lower operating rpm's.

Just measured the compression on the Vmax540 : 140 psi on both... That is tight.

Ike

MountainMax said:
please post them here so we all can see. Is yours working proper? no belts breaking or anything??
it's not done yet but i put a lot into measuring and i left a little room for error with my rubber mounts.it has to sit in a certain place anyway so you don't have brake interference,and you get the proper clutch ctr to ctr and hood clearance.this is my first one so we'll see.it probably will be using a doo belt.i know...dirty word!the accuracy thing went out the window when i decided to use the 570 engine and an '80 exciter chassis.almost forgot....it'll be using a polaris primary and secondary.that ought to raise a few eyebrows(hehehehe).probably won't even work but i'll be the first to know i guess.......

Last edited:

Back