110 oct

Running hi octane in a stock sled is a total waste of $$$ & will probably slow your sled down. You want to run the lowest octane you can get away with before detonating to get the best hp.

I do a 50/50 mix of premium and mid grade. Every other fill-up i switch. I believe most newer sleds call for 91 octane.

Most newer sleds call for 89 & that is very conservative. Only sleds that need 91 are 1000 & 800 PT Doo engines.

running 110 octane in a sled that with triple pipes won't do any good either unless you're running alot of compression. I would think 91 octane is sufficient for any sled running triple pipes without any other "serious" mods. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

More compression more octane

shortstop20 said:
running 110 octane in a sled that with triple pipes won't do any good either unless you're running alot of compression. I would think 91 octane is sufficient for any sled running triple pipes without any other "serious" mods. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Shortstop20 is correct the only reason to run higher octane is if the compression is increased i.e. new pistons or less head gasket. Octane is a measure of how well the gas resists detonation. So the higher the octane the more it will resist "spark knock". If the compression detonates the gas before the spark plug fires you get spark knock (bad!). If you machine is rated from the factory for 89 burn 89. If you make mods to increase compression go higher in octane.
Dave

terret725 said:
my buddy has a switch on his f6 thats if he wants to run aclochol right?i think it says regular and methel

The switch changes the fuel to air mixture. When you run oxygenated fuel (alcohol) you lean out the mixture. On an EFI sled you can change the mixture with the switch to make it richer. On a carb sled they recommend you re-jet to a larger size when you run “gasohol”. Too lean = burndown

Dave

Back