99 vmax600 deluxe, new track

joe0307

Looking to replace my track. Machine is stock and I will be puttng in a suspension from a 01 sxr. Is a ripsaw too much and will the extra wait and clearance be a problem? Was also thinking about a 1 inch six pitch.
Opinions please, pros and cons. Thanks.

I just out a 1" Camoplast in my 01SXR600, and I had to remove the front heat exchanger protectors. The existing track was notched for the protectors and there was NO WAY the new track would fit without interference. If you're not going to stud the track then remove the protectors. It's quite easy.

I'm thinking of modifying my protectors and make them thinner because they are really much large than necessary. Then I might put them back in.

Without the protectors, I now have enough room for a 1.25" Rip Saw.

Cheers,

Exciterfan

you needed to remove the front protectors to put in a 1 inch camo? Something doesn't sound right with that...I have never had ANY problems ever running protectors on a one inch camo. You have 10 tooth drivers or something?

It might have fit, but the clearance would have been very minimal. When the track is loose and hanging down (during the install), it is hard to judge what the final clearance will be. In my opinion there was not enough tolerance, plus removing the protectors made putting the drive shaft back in a much easier task!!! There is less chance for ice chunks to damage the track now.

If I ever stud it I'll put them back in , but they'll be shaved down a bit. Should still work.

Exciterfan

i mean its not that you hurt anything by taking them out, its just that there is plenty of clearance and it was unneccessary to take them out. If you aren't running studs it really doesn't matter either way, but like you said if you do decide to stud it one day now you will have to remove the drive shaft to install them to get rivets in the top. They also allow you to run a looser track if you keep them in because that way it keeps the track from ballooning and hitting the front heat exchanger, which would tear the track up. The newer yamahas with the .92 tracks all come with them, and those are about the same height as a camo one inch because yoko's have thicker base rubber, and it causes no clearance issues. Like we both said tho, it doesn't matter too much either way, just trying to clear it up a little. ;)!

Back