83 300 skid woes

yamahauler4

Kids sled, I dont ride it. Susp was staying flat, so pulled the skid to replace shock. Shock was fine, but notice that when rear scissor collapses, it does not actuate the shock, and white track pads hardstop on skid rails! This is the way it was when I bought it on a whim a few years ago, so much for thorough checkout!

Anyone have a 300 skid they can shoot me pictures of? I think maybe the prev owner bent the scissor and put in one from a diff year/sled, that is incorrect?

Thanks-

I'll try to get you pics . . .

Can you take a pic of what you have and post it?

Ding said:
I'll try to get you pics . . .

Can you take a pic of what you have and post it?

Yea, I have a few pix of it... let me see if posting works. If not, I can email them.

Attachments

• 300-01.jpg
    300-01.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 300-04.jpg
    300-04.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 14
link to parts list for you. Your looks to be correct.

partimage.gifx

toydoc said:
We need pictures from the side also.
The rear springs hold up the sled and sicssor arms, shock slows movment.
I see one spring missing.

I understand that... even if you have a skid out of the sled, you can actuate the shock by compressing the upper axle...correct? This shock does not actuate at all, whether up or down. I do have both springs, BTW. As you can see in the pic, the white track pad hits the skid frame. As the scissor goes up and down, the shock merely pivots with it, never actuating. Ive taken it to two Yamaha shops and their guys couldnt figure it out... :o| I think Im gonna reinstall it and see what happens. Maybe when it's bolted in it will make a difference?

Attachments

• 300-05.jpg
    300-05.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 300-06.jpg
    300-06.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 14
toydoc said:
If you unbolt the shock does the scissor then compress and move free?

The scissor moves freely to max in both directions with or without the shock. That is the problem.

is the shock the correct one for the sled?

might have to dig out the digital camera and go take some picks of the et250 in storage. skid looks exactly the same.

yep, shock is correct. Im thinking maybe when it's bolted in, the tunnel wont let the scissor rock rearward, and will force it into the shock? But I know when I pull other skids out, I can 'bounce' on the skid, actuating the shock. Should be able to on this one, too.?

I'm looking at one of my pictures of the 300 suspension, and it shows the small rear white sliders up in their proper position. I completely rebuilt this suspension four years ago, and unfortunately, the sled is 400 miles away right now. From the pic. I have, it looks to me that once you install the skid and place the springs in their proper place, it extends the skid into its correct form. I easily recall this specific suspension as being a complete pain in the arse to install; because of those springs. I remember having to use a crow bar to pry the spring out and then up into the square plastic spring retainer. I believe this forced the rear scissor to extend.

Sure wish I could get some pics for you.

Jon

yamahauler4 said:
Maybe when it's bolted in it will make a difference?

That's what I'm guessing. If the the rear mounting bolt is forced to stay in the same location, front to back, than whenthe skid moves into bump, the arm mounted to the shock will rotate instead of moving up and down without rotating. Shove it back in there without the springs real quick. That should help you sort it out.

Those pictures look normal (except for being extremely rusty). I would clean it up, repaint it, and put it back together. Those skids definitely do NOT like to compress. Remember that they have only... what, about a couple of inches of travel? So they've got to be nice and hard. And if I recall, there's something funny about that main shock, like its got a huge spring in it or something. When its working correctly, the sled should ride like a brick.

suspension

I have the suspension out of my wifes 95 vmax. It does the same thing when the rear shock is arm is pushed down. But when the rear upper shaft is held in place by the tunnel it keeps it from rotating forward and forces the shock to work.
If the FRT arm is stepped on it does compress that shock and bounce back.
If the suspension was riding flat it has to be weak springs or corrosion on the pivot shafts.
I have drilled and tapped all of the pivot points on my older sleds and put in grease fittings. Sure better then removing the skid to lube them.

Back