1994 V-Max 4 high lugs conversion ?

kimoaj

Hi everybody ! :).

My friend Kenth is going to change his track on his 1994 V-Max 4 750 because it`s worn out. We rarely ride in hard packed trials so more lugs on the track would definetly be nice. Today we removed the old track from the sled, we`ve never removed a track before but it went fine.

HPIM1012Medium.jpg

We`re working in an old barn!.

How high lugs can you put on this sled without modifying anything?.
My friend is obsessed with the thought of getting 51mm lugs, is this possible?. I guess there has to be done several modifactions in order to make this possible. (smaller drive sprockets + lowering the front "suspension" mountings?.).

HPIM1018Medium.jpg

What lug height would you recommend for this sled?. The stock height is 22mm I think. The gearing is 22/35 now.

I`d really appreciate any help/tips on what setup that works best on this sled.

Joakim

Norway

Last edited:

Ask this on www.vmax4.com You have register though... But it is the no 1 place the get Vmax4 info on this planet!

32mm lugs go right in without any mods. 38mm lugs should go with smaller sprockets just fine, but if you want bigger lugs then you have to go for a droppin and rolling the chain case etc. If you decide to change sprockets, put anti-ratchet ones. Big improvement! And then quad pipes etc under the hood. Rock and roll! ;):D

Keep up the good work!

Ike

Thanks for the reply IKE ! :).

I have already registered on V-Max 4, but the forum didn`t seem to have that much activity as this forum, that`s why I asked here. Guess I have to ask there too.

A guy told me that 51mm lugs was to much for this sled, it would dig it self down and get stuck, probably because of the weight?.

What do you mean when you say "rolling the chain case" ? .

rolling the chaincase is changing where it mounts in the frame to make the drive axle further from the front of the tunnel, allowing more clearance with a better approach angle. It is definately a fair amount of work though, and you have to make sure you don't hit any stumps or anything with the belly of the sled, because you can bend the driveshaft now that it will be exposed from being lower than stock.

Rollin the chain case = you mod the chain case in the way that you get your sprockets lower and the angle of the track smaller against the snow. It helps to float the sled better in powder. BUT you have to get a longer chain, custom chain case cover (if you can´t weld aluminimum yourself), different gears etc. LOT OF WORK and testing! :Moon:

Best improvement for that -94 is to get a 800 clutch/secondary or a Polaris secondary. Much better shifting up and down! And ask for clucth and jetting setups too from www.vmax4.com too for your altitude.

With 51mm lugs V4 won´t be digging itself stuck. You have more than the needed power to get it out. Just pin it and it will climb. Atleast that is what I do... Is that sled going to be longtracked or is it 121`still? If it´s 121`you don´t have the best possible sled for boondocking. Yes, it´s heavy in the front and it has to be ridden with certain confidence and strength! But it can be done, and it´s lot of fun. As long as you remember that it aint a light twin, it´s a mid 90´s musclesled with a short travel suspension.

Ike

Just more thoughts ;;;

Just put 32mm lugged track under that beast and you are fine. If you are willing to do more work, change the sprockets to a smaller ones and go with 38mm lug track. RipSaw´s are great! By changing the sprockets to smaller ones, you lower the gearing also for lower automaticly.

And like I said, with confidence and strength that thing can be ridden like there´s no tomorrow! Just find a open area and start having fun. I bet you get hooked on it quite soon... :beer: ;):D

Ike

Thanks for the replys guys:).

I don`t think chain case rolling will be necessary if you go down from 9teeths to 7teeths on the sprockets?. Chain case modifying is out of the question I think.

The sled is still going to be 121". Will it need to be geared down? (in the chaincase) or will the smaller drive sprockets be enough down-gearing?.

Thanks for the new reply Ike :).

I personaly think that 38mm sounds more reasonable for this sled, but then again when you park your sled infront of your friends (& girls) , size does matter !! hehe:).

HPIM1019Medium.jpg

If you go down alot on drive sprockets, I am afraid that it will hit the iron suspension "thing" , the one closest to the drive sprockets.

By the way, how are the sprockets mounted on the shaft?. The ones on the side has a little umbraco screw but the ones in the middle doesnt have any?.

Sprockets are just hydraulic pressed to the shaft. Since the hole is smaller on the sprockets compared to the shafts diameter, sprockets will be there tight.

Go with the 38mm lugs and put smaller (7-tooth ?) sprockets to it. Test and ride , and after that decide should you lower the gearing. With the right setup that thing can´t jump out of an hole fast.

It has 4 cylinders! Enough size!!!!

Ike

Thanks for the info Ike ! :).

How much force will be required to remove the sprockets?. Will the bench clamp do the job?.

I guess it is VERY important to make som notches on the axle where the sprockets sat so that you know that the new ones will sit in the exact same position?.

I will recommend 38mm lugs for my friend then.

I haven´t ever removed sprockets myself. Always done it at the local snowmobile shop. They have the knowledge and the tools for it. It´s just a 30 min work for a mechanic who knows what he is doing.

Yep. You´ll have to mark the exact location of the sprockets to the shaft, but don´t use a metalsaw or anything like it. Just let the pro´s do it for you at the shop. They can measure the exact location and line them up corretly. ;)!

Ike

Thanks Ike:).

We will try to do it ourselves but if we don`t get them of I guess we`ll have to leave it to somebody else. I have an iron-marking-pen and I think it will be ideal for the marking.

:)

Hi guys !

Today I found a guy who is selling a 307/38/51mm belt , one year old, like new he said. The guy lives 60kilometers from me so I guess this will tempt my friend alot! :). Will be cheaper then buying a brand new one.. .

Well, that`s all I wanted to say!.

Joakim

Back