swapping front shocks..

siudog

I'm looking to alter the front end on my '99 Vmax triple 600 deluxe (el start/reverse). My sleds are in storage and don't have access right now... Anyone know the length of stock cheap shocks vs. Viper shocks or XTC (say '97 600 twin) shocks? I'm looking for a cushy ride, so I'd get viper ER shocks. Thanks!

your Vmax deluxe should have a pretty good ride as it is.
I have the Vmax deluxe and as for as comfort it beats my SXR. Soft on the trails and very comfortable. Maybe your shocks need to be rebuilt.
How many miles on the sled.

my '99 has the cheapo shocks though it rides great. I bet it would be 10x better with gas shocks. Sled has 1600 mi. I heard the viper shocks are longer. My frame bulkhead should be same as '97 XTC 600 which imo, is the best riding sled I've got. I don't know lengths as I said both sleds are in storage. If I can get a good answer, I'd hunt down some shocks. any sellers?

viper shocks WILL fit on there, but i dont think that they will ride any smoother than what you have. Gas shocks are better for aggressive riding because they offer more dampening at the ends of the travel to resist bottoming, but they generally aren't as "cushy" in the meat of the travel. I mean they definately don't ride bad (that is if they are revalved), but your stock deluxe ones ride great for cruising unless there is something wrong with them.

Anyone have an idea how long the original shocks will last from the deluxe model sleds. (Have 6000 miles on a 2002 v-max) Non-rebuildable just wondering should I also be looking to replace these.

This is just a guess, because i haven't put that many miles on a set yet, maybe someone else will chime in, but im guessing that 6000 miles they might be starting to lose their dampening, might have to be replaced.

Yamahaulic
wonder if I could just jack up the radiator cap and drive a new vector GT under it if the wife would notice. Yea That might work. Later thanks for in put on the shocks.

lol, yea that might be worth a shot. Just put the vmax windy on the apex, she'll never even know. ;):D I'm not ready for an apex yet though, still holding out for an SRX 800 lol

Back