Opinions on longtracking my SRX to 144"?

shortstop20

Website
www.snowmobilefanatics.net
I'm was thinking about longtracking my SRX to 136", 141", or 144". More than likely 144". Does a long-tracked SRX work well in deep powder and mountain riding? I would probably go with a 1.5" or 1.75" paddle track? Maybe some different skis up front too. Going to need different drivers and gears also. The problem is, after all these mods I'm going to have alot of money stuck into a sled that I'm not sure will perform very good in deep powder and the mountains. I am thinking about buying my brother's Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 800 EFI also, but it doesn't seem much lighter than my SRX. :o| I haven't rode it, but this is what I gather just from lifting it, and standing up on it. I'm going to have over $1000 easily into my SRX with a longtrack kit, track, and skis. I would probably need a powder kit for my Airbox too. My bro is asking $3000 for his Mountain Cat 800 :rockon: So basically what I'm wondering is, is it worth it to even long-track a SRX, will it even compare to say a 2002 Mountain Cat 800, 2002-2003 RMK, or 2003 REV 800 Summit 144" in the mountains and deep powder? I don't really want to jump ship because my Yami has never given me an ounce of trouble, but something newer and lighter is VERY tempting. I'm only 160 pounds too so a lighter sled would be a benefit. Can't decide what I want to do with the $2500 dollars that I have sitting in the bank. ;):D
Sorry for the novel. Give me your thoughts on what I should do ;)!

Keep the srx for trails, get the cat for the mountains. Cat's are suited well for the mountains, jacked up rear, wide a$$ bellypans, fairly light weight, good power, and the engines dont have to last for thousands of miles, lol ;)! All kidding aside though, the srx can be made into a DECENT powder sled in my opinion, but will have nothing on any of those newer powder specific machines. That being said, a long tracked srx is probably one of the best all around sleds there is. Rock solid dependable, capable on trail and off, easy on gas and oil, etc.

Last edited:
If you long track it make sure you get the skid relocation kit. I've done several SRX/Viper/RX-1's into 144 & up lengths and all have worked flawlessly.

I would recommend longtracking the srx, it is definately heavier then the cats or rmks but the smoothness of the 3 cylinders and the sound you get cant be matched by a two cylinder. The 800 polaris' are known for breaking cranks, i ride with 3 800 polaris' and 2 of them have broke cranks all stock.

Good luck

Did a 144" srx with stock skid and extensions. Worked real well. Now same sled is a 159" with a 151 cat skid set back in it. Runs right with a 900 cat out in Cooke. It's heavier, but works real well. It's had a couple other chassis mods done to it, but nothing real outrageous or expensive.

Here's my take on it. I've been on a 144" SRX, 800,900 Cats, Viper's, Mountain max's, and a bunch of RMK's. Yes the 144" will help the SRX a lot in the mountain's, but I hate to say it, it's not as good of a mountain sled as the Cat. A buddy had one (144" SRX), he was a big guy (225#'s) and he could man handle that thing around and make it work in the mountain's pretty good. I would get on it (I'm 165#'s) and I just hated it. Front end is heavy, I had to work my arse off in the mountain's, front end would dive this way and that.
To be fair, that was with the stock ski's, I've ridin' it since with Simmons and it's much better. I'm not saying that the SRX cant be made into a good mountain sled, some have. However for a guy my size, it's still not as much fun as a piped Mountain Max or Viper.
In the mountain's its all about the rider to sled weight ratio.
One thing to look out for on the Cat's, the 800's had problems with piston skirt's breaking, I've seen them take out the crank when that happen's. A lot of them had the piston's replaced with updated ones, before they failed.

Back