700 Still Burbling

Double J

First off-thanks to those who gave suggestion about my 2001 SXR 700 burbling and quitting when accelerated. I checked wiring for chafing, stator, all connections . Found everything runs well when on high beam headlight setting but loses tach and gas gauge as well as almost stalling out when switched to low beam setting. However, if I pull one plug off of headlight bulb, everything runs fine. I checked high beam switch but this gets strange also-plug from harness only has blue/white and a green wire going to harness-no yellow for high beam. Where does yellow going into headlight pick up juice from? I checked switch to see if there is a short to ground-it seems fine. It seems when extra draw is reuired to run both headlights on low beam-something shorts out. thanks for the suggestions.

For some reason i was think there was a service bulletin on the headlight switches on them. Might want to look into that.

do you have reed spacers or notched reed mod?if not thease will virtually eliminate the low speed burble,not to mention give a noticable throttle response

Double J said:
First off-thanks to those who gave suggestion about my 2001 SXR 700 burbling and quitting when accelerated. I checked wiring for chafing, stator, all connections . Found everything runs well when on high beam headlight setting but loses tach and gas gauge as well as almost stalling out when switched to low beam setting. However, if I pull one plug off of headlight bulb, everything runs fine. I checked high beam switch but this gets strange also-plug from harness only has blue/white and a green wire going to harness-no yellow for high beam. Where does yellow going into headlight pick up juice from? I checked switch to see if there is a short to ground-it seems fine. It seems when extra draw is reuired to run both headlights on low beam-something shorts out. thanks for the suggestions.

Exact same thing happened on my SXR. Turned out to be a bad headlight bulb, the low beam filament was shorted. Changed the bulb and problem solved. Cheap and easy!

the bulb (low beam filament) is a good possibily.... as PJVMAX suggested...

because it happens when you switch to low beam, I would suspect anything on the return/ switched side of the headlite switch... 1) switch itself, 2) wiring from swtich to headlite, or 3) bulb.....

also..

yellow wire into headlite gets it's power from the headlite relay..(not directly from the switch)..

try to find a schematic for your sled and trace the low beam "switched" circuit back to the bulb.... (probably in your owners manual)..

tj..

Last edited:
Had the same problem with my SX and found bad a wire in the handle bars. Don't know if you have already done this but check the wiring from under the hood all the way through the handle bars to the switches.
Mills

Back