Ignition problem?

98srxrider

A buddy of mine picked up a 98 srx 700 over the weekend and the center and mag cylinders have very weak spark, I am thinking it may be the coils, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

98srxrider

check the spark plugs caps.they usualy fail first instead of the coils.you could just change them.

I think we got it figured out. After pulling the motor and checking the wiring harness for breaks or any place it could be grounding out, we think that the stator was bad. Got one on the way find out next week if that was it for sure.

Keep us posted on what you find out. I have a couple of questions though since I am putting on a new stator on my '98 also. How did you determine you were getting weak spark on the center and mag cylinders? Some sort of spark tester, visual? Did you test the stator or are you just going to replace it and see what happens? Did the sled run previously even with the weak spark? I am just asking because I am also suspecting weak spark due to a weak stator and just curious on some details of your issue. Thanks! ;)!

The sled ran but fouled those two plugs, then when we replaced them they fouled again almost instantly. Then we replaced all three again and laid them on the head and tested for spark. Those two cylinders had very weak spark compared to the PTO cylinder. We called a yamaha shop and told them what we had found and they told us how to check the stator by using an Ohm meter and gave us the specs. of what it should be. Ours was much less than what they recommended, so we ordered the stator and hope that it fixes it.

Good luck!

That sounds cool, hope it works out, I am ordering a stator for mine today, and I have my fingers crossed that it works. I took mine to a dealer and they said that the stator checked out OK, but it was still acting up, so I am counting on the stator. Keep us posted.

Do you know if the crank was fixed on this sled,my 98 SRX did the same thing when the crank was bad.Fouled a lot of plugs before the crank was fixed.Never fouled one after.Check with dealer with serial number and they can tell you if it was fixed.

stators can drive you nuts

The thing with staors is they never do the same thing all the time.
Had a 98 srx here 4 times before finally changing the stator because I was tired of working on it. It turns out it WAS the problem, the sled would run great here and never miss a beat, up and down my test field, the guy would take the sled and complain it would break up, backfire and dim the lights when out on the trail. Sometimes just feel like it was way down on power, sometimes not always, hard starting.
I went thru the wiring harness, replaced the cdi, coils, nothing changed, when I took it apart it had a small piece of solder broken off on the stator windings, and it would bounce around on a ruff trail and cause the problem.
This stator would ohm out perfect, so if you checked it like dealers do, you wouldnt find the problem.
Sled hasnt been back with a electrical problem since, and its running great, guy is tickeled pink

Back