Fuel Shut Off Pictures & Clutching

jnow454

Anybody have pictures of fuel shut off valves installed on a '98 and '02 SRX?

Also, where can I find past discussions on clutching the '02. New sled to me, didn't change anything from previous owner, rode it once last year, heelclickers installed, 164 studs, low RPM's at WOT (don't remember exact #, but I do remember getting smoked by a stock '98 SRX.)

I'd also like to see a pic of a fuel shut off. I was going to put one on mine, but hadn't decided where to put it yet..

Only place you really should put it on an SRX is on the line between the gas tank and the fuel pump. If you remove your airbox you can see the pet-cock for the gas tank (oblong diamond shaped, secured to gask tank with two 10mm bolts). Facing the engine compartment, the pet-cock and fuel line is on the right side toward the electrical components and P-Valve servo motor. And the line coming off of the pet-cock leads down to the fuel pump. My opinion is that would be the ideal place. Just for reference, I think the fuel line is 1/4" (inside diameter) there.

--Steve (O.C.)

That's what I thought too, but it's not the most accessable place. You think it would hurt anything to add hose and mount it just up from there?

Adding hose shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you use "fuel grade" specific hose and couplers with at least 1/4" inside diameter to maintain fuel flow. I wouldnt't go crazy with ALOT of extra line, maybe 6" to the cut-off switch and 6" back.

--Steve (O.C.)

I dont know if the SRX and the MM700 have the same tank and hose to the fuel pump. I think they do. Here is a couple of pics of the fuel shut off valve on my 99 MM700. Hope this helps.

PLEASE CALL PINGLE or look on their website.. a 1/4 hose is TOO SMALL!!!! I bought one for my SRX (quite pricey) but it was a genuine pingel from ADAMS WISCONSIN (where ED GEENE was from)!!!! I had to talk to the guy at pingle for a 5/16 fuel shutoff.... PLEASE don't use a 1/4 inch!!! Gary Oles nosboy

I have a factory Yamaha accesory one, it comes with 2 small hoses. I'd mount it on the dash. If you want it, I'd take 10 plus shipping.. Maxdlx

Also listen to nosboy. If you use to small of a valve it can restrict fuel flow, and then the burn down monster comes a knocking. Maxdlx

I've had a 1/4" valve on my '01 SRX700 for a couple years now. No burn-down problems. I would suspect that these problems would show only on sustained full-throttle runs - which - scare the s*** out of me, so ... I only see full throttle for no more than about 15 seconds at a time.

But I had purchased the 1/4 online already, and after discovering that the line was in fact 5/16, I rethought my strategy. The only 5/16 that I saw available anywhere is the one in the picture earlier in the thread. My 1/4 mounts directly on my left side leg vent right next to the CDI box. It is accessible without raising the hood. If someone really needs pictures, I'll go over to my ex's and take a picture of it.

IMHO, if you plan on riding flat out a lot, INSIST on the 5/16. If you ride more leisurely, a 1/4 will do and will open up your mounting options.

Just so you know, even with a fuel shut off valve you will NOT run your carbs dry when you shut the valve off, you will only run it until the jets start sucking air. However, the jets do now reach the bottom of the float bowls, not even close, so over the summer when that residual fuel is sitting in there it will still varnish and leave deposits, and there is a good chance those little green chunks of chit could get sucked up against one of the jets and you will have a big problem. Still going to have to either drain carbs before summer or clean carbs every fall to be safe.

Good point Holic.. I clean them every year, but was thinking this would be the easy way out. I didn't really think it through. You are exactly right... If anyone else is interested in the 5\16 shut off: Fuel Shut Off

I agree with Yamaholic22. Residual fuel still stays in the bowls even if it is run "dry". Clean the carbs every Fall to be safe. Ya know what they say about short-cuts. And when it comes to possible burn down from a plugged up jet, it just isnt worth it. Carbs come off easy and cleaning process is pretty simple. Only reason I would possibly put a fuel cut off would be for security purposes. And in that case it would be well hidden. The fuel pump does not allow fuel down to the carbs while the machine is off anyway..unless the diaphragm inside the fuel pump is bad.

--Steve (O.C.)

I was hoping the shut off would help run fuel out of carbs, not a guarenteed fix by any means.

I have also heard the fuel should be shut off while trailering. Sometimes it is easier to fill up while on the trailer. You know, friday night while filling the truck for the last time before hitting the UP. A short 60-80 mile ride Friday night ride is a must, can't wait for morning.

I've been running fuel shutoffs on all my sleds for a few years to purge the carbs. When I was rejetting my SRX recently I noticed that the residual fuel in the bowl was crystal clear from last spring, ...never had problem here.

Attachments

• petcock.jpg
    petcock.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Back