kinda dumb question...

bluelightning

hey all,
as some of you may know, im a newbie to sleds, and was wondering a kinda dumb/simple question.....how the heck to you get the belt off? has a new one on it when i bought it, but was just wondering for when im going to have to....poked around a bit on here, but maybe its just too common sense for anyone to post it and im just not figuring it out?:oops:

Not a dumb question. Set the parking brake. Remove the clutch cover. With your right hand grasping the angled helix on the secondary (outside of the clutch), push in on it while your twisting it clockwise. Basically, you're trying to open the sheaves of the secondary. As soon as you twist and open the sheave a bit, with your other hand (left) work the belt up and over the outside sheave from about the 12 o'clock position down to the 4 o'clock position. This should be a sufficient amount of belt being worked over the sheave to allow you to remove it completely. Once it's removed from the secondary, you can then remove it from the primary.

Hope this helps...........don't forget the parking brake is still on.

Jon

haha must have been a dumb question to everyone else! thanks for the quick answer ill have to give it a try tonight

Ecopter's way always works, but sometimes you can pop the clutch guard off, grab the belt between the primary and secondary, yank up hard, which will force the belt into the secondary which will open it. Now just take the belt off the secondary, starting at 12:00 and go clockwise...

grapeape said:
Ecopter's way always works, but sometimes you can pop the clutch guard off, grab the belt between the primary and secondary, yank up hard, which will force the belt into the secondary which will open it. Now just take the belt off the secondary, starting at 12:00 and go clockwise...

Thats what i do. Takes about 20 seconds to change a belt.

Grasshoppa'...the only dumb question is the one not asked....ponder that...

That's what us friendly bunch of TY'er are here for. To help each other out along their sledding journey. :rocks:

--Steve (O.C.)

If you have very aggressive clutching it may get very hard to do. I bought Maxximum Performances belt changing tool and I love it. Makes it a "no strain" job and is very easy to install.

its much easier on yamaha's with the open helix design compared to a polaris p-85 secondary with the encapsulated helix :yam:

If you are refering to the newer team encapsulated polaris secondary you couldn't be further from the truth.... there is a tool included with the sleds that threads in and separates the sheaves for you. it is so simple and slick, a child could do it ... literally.

I was referring to the P-85 button secondary, as i stated in the previous post. I know it is very easy to change them on the Team's. It isn't HARD on the P-85 either, just harder than yamaha's open helix.

NYSRXR said:
Grasshoppa'...the only dumb question is the one not asked....ponder that...

amen to that, I'd rather answer a stupid question than help to fix a stupid mistake.

as far as pulling belts goes, ecopter is bang on the money, do it enough times and you develope a callous in the middle of the hand where you push against the helix.

A Note On The Orig. Question. Don't Let The Secondary Clutch Slam
Shut,( When You Pull The Belt Out) Keep Hand Pressure On The Clutch Half That You Mooved To Open The Clutch. Then Let It Push Back Over The Closed Position. If It Slams You Can Break The Plastic Buttons The The Helix Slides On. Not And Major Expense, But They Will Need To Be Fixed. ;)!

MADVIPER said:
A Note On The Orig. Question. Don't Let The Secondary Clutch Slam
Shut,( When You Pull The Belt Out) Keep Hand Pressure On The Clutch Half That You Mooved To Open The Clutch. Then Let It Push Back Over The Closed Position. If It Slams You Can Break The Plastic Buttons The The Helix Slides On. Not And Major Expense, But They Will Need To Be Fixed. ;)!

Those stupid sliders are like 15$ each from yamaha.

Back