Stiff secondary spring --> affect top speed?

PowerValve-700

Website
www.totallyamaha.com
I don't think I'm getting the speed I should be getting. Origionally I installed the Bender powershift clutch kit for Bender pipes, but later installed H/C's in the primary, top speed improved slightly. I'm still running the helix and sec. spring that came with the Bender clutch kit, this spring is so stiff that I can't even press in on the helix to change the belt (I had to make a tool for changing the belt). Would a secondary spring this stiff affect top speed?

Oh and does anyone know the angles of this helix yet? It has "02VTP" stamped on it. And does anyone know the specs on this spring, it's a Bender white/blue spring. I used to know but forgot, and I thought it was on Bender's website but it don't seem to be there anymore.

Last edited:

Heck yes, its eating alot of speed up, you only need enuff tension to keep the belt from being sucked down in the secondary, the looser the tension the more top speed it will have. When you have alot of rear spring tension the rear clutch trys to backshift constantly and fights the front clutch, thats why the sled most likely gets into a spot on topend where it doesnt pull anymore, it just makes noise, it because the rear clutch wont allow the front to upshift any further.

That's what I thought, thanks. Right now low end and corner to corner accelleration is excellent, if I try a different spring for top speed will this affect the low end?

Anyone know of a good secondary setup (helix and/or spring) for an 02' Bender piped Viper (shorty) w/ Heel Clickers?

yah im running Stock Sec, i hear they are good just as is.. theres so much stuff you gota sacrafice to gain top end or bottem end, its not both.. if you want ALOT of bottem end Torque you have to give up some top end, and the same if you want alot of top

Last edited:
helix

for a viper with heel clickers I like a helix around 48/34,49/38,48/36,47/37, green secondary spring, youll be in the 70-80 degree area.
I dont run the same helix because certain vipers make more power then others do, you can run a higher finish angle if you have a good one, and your pipes make power. If yours seems flat up top with a steeper finish or is low on rpm, then go to a shallower helix and run a tad more tip weight and youll gain back the topend. I am assuming you have the front clutch dialed in and it runs the correct rpm from the start to finish, this is to merely tailor the shift to your liking. You dont tune your rpm with the secondary. You can however polish it perfect with helix angles

Last edited:

Back