Track rub. Chang gears or not?

Zachalyse

Installed a new 1.25" iceripper(ripsaw) track in my Viper ER and added an Expert X suspension. For those whom are not fimiliar with it, the iceripper has the prestudded tips on the end of the track lugs, so I do not plan on studding.

I'm getting quite a bit of track rub on the front exchanger protectors.

Shoud I:

1. Run it the way it is and let the lugs wear themselves down?
2. Notch the lugs out?
3. Change to 8 tooth drive and change the gears?

If #3, How much should this cost me?

Myself, I'd do it the right way and change to the 8 tooth drivers and re-gear it. Actually, that's what I did in my 02'. It cost me $40.00 for drivers for mine, but I didn't have the extrovert drivers. The chain and gear set I got from Rich motorsports for $165 shipped to my door. It'll cost you around $250 but it'll be worth it! Does your track have all open windows, or is the kind that has every third window closed? If you have an all open window track, I'd get the extrovert 8 tooth drivers so you won't have any problems with it ratcheting (slipping) when you get on the throttle. Good luck and you'll love the ripsaw! It hooks up like no tomorrow!

Viperlover

Last edited:
98srx6 said:
If you go with options 1 or two you should be fine, Just make sure you keep your track nice and tight.

I'm supposed to keep it loose with the Expert X. :ORC

If I change to 8 tooth, is it set in stone what size gears I need, or could I end up putting the wrong size in and screwing up my performance?

Back