Sluggish Viper

Zion Lion

My Viper generally has plenty of snap. But today it was running sluggish. I changed the sparkplugs and pulled the air filter, and it was back to normal, which do you think it was? The plugs that were in it were new (I think), filter looks dirty... thoughts?

Make sure the rubber boots at the base of the air box are snuggly attached to the carbs. Can never hurt to check the power valves either to make sure they are clean (no stuck valves) and that there weren't any pull-throughs.

what was the temperature? new plugs can foul too if not jetted properly for the weather. how old is you gas? bad gas will foul plugs

it was about 35 degrees. old gas mixed with some new as of yesterday. I think the third plug was fouling.....

also not sure on the color of the plugs that are good, hope they are not too lean. They looked light cocoa brown if you will. I had the sled serviced by the local dealer this fall....

Looking Looking at the color of the electrode is not a very precise way of determining the condition of your burn, but if they are light brown you should be just fine. Make sure your carbs are clean and you are running fresh gas. Also, many yamaha's will foul plugs if not properly warmed up.

i sipon all my old gas out at the end of the season, run the sled dry, and drain the bowls, old gas will cause many headaches.. 35 degrees? thats a little bit warm for stock jetting

Back