Reassembling chain case????

NY AttakGT

VIP Member
3 Questions.

[1st]. On the speedo side, does the end of the shaft go in flush with the speedo bearing, or is the end of the shaft supposed to stick out slighty (1/8" or so) past the speedo bearing?

[2nd]. Regarding orientation of the bottom gear. The gear is fatter on one side(spacing) in the middle where it slides onto the shaft than it is on the other. Does the fatter side face in (towards sled) or does the fatter side face out (toward the chain case cover)??

[3rd] There is a spacer/collar that goes behind each gear, one thicker than the other, which one goes behind which gear? One is about 1/4" thick, the other is about 3/8" thick. These are parts # 20 and 31 in "Track Drive 2" on the microfiche/parts "blow-up"

Thanks

--Steve (O.C.)

Last edited:

The small bushing goes with the big gear and the big bushing with the small gear. As you say, the bottom gear has a part that sticks out more on one side than the other. Install it with the sticking out side towards the track. The axle position is not determined by the speedo bearing. Leave the bearing allen set screws loose until you have installed the bottom gear and tightened the bolt that holds it in place. This bolt needs locktite. The tighten the speedo bearing set screws. The axle sticks through the bearing or not. It is what it is.

Follow up

Thanks for the info. Chaincase is back together. Just a folllow up question regarding the chain tensioner. How tight should it be? I heard hand tightened ONLY then tighten the jamb nut. Just to clarify, this is the adjustment bolt on the outside of the chaincase by the dipstick. Thanks.

--Steve (O.C.)

Don't over tighten that adjuster. The chain should have a LITTLE bit of play in it. An overtight chain robs power and is hard on everything. Just don't leave it loose enough that it can run on the case. I say finget TIGHT is too tight. Finger snug at most.

i agree with almost 700, i think finger tight is too tight. I run mine somewhere in between finger tight and the chain hitting the case on the long side. I go finger snug then back off an 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

Back out 1/8

I agree back out 1/8 turn. After 1000 - 1200 miles or so when I pull the case
its just right a little play but won't hit the case. --mac--

Back