Somebody diagnose my plugs

kinger

VIP Member
My first ride out this year! we got in over 70 miles, the plugs were brand new at the start of it and I just installed the tempaflow, tell me what you think, it looks a bit lean to me.

Attachments

• Plugs.JPG
    Plugs.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 51
  • plugs 2.JPG
    plugs 2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 43

They look good to me.it takes a lot of miles on new plugs to show the right colour. Max

cant take a jetting reading on new plugs unless you know how to read the electrodes. it is better to get a few hundred miles and let them get darkened up, then do plug readings. if you have some non fouled older plugs, put them in and run your tests, you'll see the difference immediately. i would say from the pics you are close. ski

Depends on how much idle time you have on those plugs. If you pulled them right after a hard run down the lake and then pulled them, they look close, but if you have some idling on them, then they could be lean.

I checked them about 3 times in the 70 miles and at first I was VERY concerned it showed a little tan color starting at the base of the electrode and stopping about half way, but the more miles I got the better they looked. I tell ya one thing she sure is snappy compared to lasts years blacky's!

As for idling, I didn't let it idle much I pulled them after a leisurly cruise up the street into the garage and maybe 30 sec of idling after that.

Ski- I do have some older non-fouled plugs I will re gap and swap them in. .025" is what I gapped these.

I was surprised because I have the screw on the tempaflow adjusted 1/8 turn CLOCKWISE from the dot meaning I should be rich and was hoping to get it back to the dot, but I don't think I will lean it out anymore!

Kinger, at what altitude and temp are you? Main jets and pilot jets? needle at which position. Very interresting..

King,

I put one on my 02 in 03 and new plugs will look a little lean until you get some miles on em. I'm really happy with it. I have ridden from 40 to -15 and they are alwys a nice brown color and it is snappier. Make sure you don't start right up and motor away hard from trail stops because the underhood heat will lean it out. You need to move some outside air through the unit to let it adjust for the outside temperature.

norwegian said:
Kinger, at what altitude and temp are you? Main jets and pilot jets? needle at which position. Very interresting..

I runn 0-3000ft, it was 33 degrees yesterday. Main jets are 160 and pilots are stock. Needles are stock.

Only mods are the CAI that bump up the main jet one tick, that is it. I'm trying to dial in the tempaflow stock first before I install the pipes. At least I will have somewhat of a baseline to compare to.

I'm using the stock BR9ES plugs. I will be switching to the BR9ECS when I add pipes. Also I do have the rear heat exchanger installed so maybe that helped let her run a little bit more lean.

I'm concerned that I'm at the full rich setting on the tempaflow and she is borderline. I was hoping to have some adjustment there.

I see in the "big old wise book" that your jet needle should be at 3.5 by the lowest altitude (0-300) three hundred feet at the coldest weather setting. This should be ok with your current jetting, and the tempaflow should work ok, BUT you have the CAI thing, maybe it requires more than one jet size. How about 161,3 if that is a size?

I believe that the br9es burn more/make more heat area due to more electrode gap. I wouldn't reccomend them, I burned down my previous srx down due to them...

Norwegian - yes you are right the ES is not for the srx, I believe the SRX is spec'd to use the ECS and the viper is spec'd to use the ES, now when I add pipes I will use the ECS as well.

Pistonbone, thanks for the link!!

use the plugs that are recomended in your owners manual,the electrical system is tested with those plugs.Im sure that those plugs with that jetting will be dark brown with more miles.With pipes i would have done a dyno with euxhaust temp probes and bsfc readings to be safe./ Max

Back