how should a power valve look?

bluelightning

before anybody gets too mad, i did a search and couldnt find an answer to my question...

when i parked the sled earlier today, instead of killing it with the key or switch, i choked it till it stalled (makes it much easier to start the next time i ride). im assuming that by doing this, the power valves are in the open position, correct? now forgive me if i am wrong, but this valve looks to me like its fully extented, meaning its in a closed position?
powervalve1.jpg

powervalve2.jpg

also, i've heard much talk of "cables being pulled through".....how do i know if that is an issue?

When you choke the sled the servo motor will go to full open retracting the PV's from the exhaust port. The problem I had with this method of adjusting was once you get the valve to full open the tension on the spring in the PV will pull the servo back from full open making it impossible to correctly adjust them. I ended up having to get the wire harness adapter.

You can easily tell if the PV's are pulled through when you take them apart to clean them.

How about putting it back in and re starting the sled with the servo cover off.
When the idle goes over 1000 you will see the servo turn back.
Then turn the idle under 1000 and watch the servo pull the cables.
If one is pulled through, you will be able to see a loose cable under the cover, right?

i was concerned with the position of them in the picture above. i dont know weather that is opened or closed? and all the cables seem very taught. i just dont know what im looking at here! (and like i said i did a search but could find no pics or any explanation of what i should be looking at)

From your pics, they appear to be out (valve closed)
What are you tring to check, if they are opening all the way?

well my question was, after killing it by choking it to death, shouldnt the valves be open? because as you said, they look closed to me.

Did you pull any others?
If you don't have the plug to make them open
you should pull that servo cover to see if they are working at all (with the idle trick)
Also, if that one cable pulled through, that valve would have fallen out of the housing
when you opened it

didnt pull any others, been studying for finals. ill have to bolt that one back together and start it up and check out the servo. so that PV is in the closed position right? when its open, the cylendrical part at the base of the valve itself retracts into the housing there? im just tryin to get an understanding of what exactly is goin on here lol

yes when the servo turns, it pulls the cables and pulls the cylindrical part of the valve up into the removable housing, pulling the valve out of the exhaust port, effectively making the port taller = opens sooner to get more of the exhausted gases out at higher rpms. More old gases out means more fresh gases in which means more power.

Just to chime in here (not hijacking need help too) my p-valve on the pipe side of my motor seems to be spitting black crud onto my newly polished pipe I ordered the o-rings that go on them will I have to completely disassemble the valves to install them or will it slip on without damage?

Adam, you have to pull the valve completely apart to replace the O-rings. There are two rubber O-rings withing each of the power valve housings. One o-ring is about 1/4" and the other is about 3/8".

--Steve (O.C.)

Back