TLC with a BFH...

Lucky7

Hi, I'm new here......
In preperation for the upcoming season I drug my sled into the garage, where she let me know she was still sleepy. A carb cleaning (I set the air mixture screws to 1.5 turns) / synched, and powervalve cleaning later , she sounded angry again (just the way I like her!). Idle was perfect, and half pull starting.
Upon further inspection, the hyfax, and 3 Maxx wheels were cooked. Luckily I had spares in stock. Everything was stuck, and took a real beating to get them off!! After reassembly I spun the track to loosen it up, and set the tension at 16 lbs. @ 1.25". While I was at it I adjusted the limiter strap to 42mm.
The problem I can't overcome is bleeding the air out of the water manifold. I bled the screw under the seat no problem.
My questions are:
Are 1.5 turns on thr air screws too much? 1.125 is stock.
Do I have my track set too tight?
Is 42mm on the limiter strap too loose?
How do I get the to bleed out of the water manifold?
Thanks in advance for any help. I need to get this thing fixed, as I'm dropping her off this weekend at my Hougton Lake house for the season.

Is 42mm on the limiter strap too loose?
That was Yamaha's TSB updated length to cure slide wear, but you also had to reduce the center shock preload to zero & replace the 5mm lower control rod spacers to 2.5mm
This is if you have stock skid
BTW, The longer the adjustment (42mm) the shorter the strap!
Personally, if I still had a stock SRX skid, I would put the strap back to 32mm and put bigger slide wheels in the front and keep the front shock preload at zero.

Last edited:
I still have the stock skid, and I've put the 2.5's on the back with adjustable
rods. It's also got the low snow front mini wheel kit, and the Maxx Perf. big wheels. She still has a taste for hyfax.
Something that did help was a pair of Hauck front shock brackets with the bolts in the middle hole. This also made a huge diff. in handling through junkers (for me 260 lbs.).

Back