02 Viper - steering problem

ajviper

Finally got a chance to get out on the (2002)viper yesterday and have questions regarding a steering problem..

The steering is very very stiff almost to the point where it's unrideable. Turn left and it will stick left, turn right--sticks right, hold straight-- sticks straight. Not only does it stick at each point, it's very tough to get it to each point as well. I was beat after riding for only 2hrs.

I greased the one mian fitting, but it didn't seem to help much. The sled only has 500 miles on it and was stored for 2yrs before I purchased it, so I think something went bad or is dry from sitting. Are there any obvious parts that I should check? I've looked at the steering break-down, and will try to hit all areas with some type of lubricant, but was curious if there are any parts that are prone to go bad or dry out.

One more comment -- after upgrading from an sxr, the viper seat is hard as a rock in comparison. Are all of the vipers seats rock hard? Well, it's either the seat or the super stiff '02 suspension that was killing me yesterday.

TIA

Last edited:

have you messed with the steering arms at all? are there any scratch marks on you trailing arms near the spindals ??

B2SO said:
have you messed with the steering arms at all? are there any scratch marks on you trailing arms near the spindals ??

No I haven't touched the steering arms. What do you mean by scratch marks? Everything looks straight.

unhook your tie rod on the ski spindles & see if the steering is easier ? if it is check the spindle & bushings , they may need to be greased & cleaned ? & if it is not easier work your way back up to the bars

clharris said:
unhook your tie rod on the ski spindles & see if the steering is easier ? if it is check the spindle & bushings , they may need to be greased & cleaned ? & if it is not easier work your way back up to the bars

Great idea! I'll do that first.

Regarding your Viper 02 seat, it's too soft. I had mine re upolstered firmer. The stock suspension is way too stiff and I'm 240 lbs.

Well, I removed the tie rods and discovered that the problem is in the spindle area at the end of the trailing arms. Each ski was tough to move by hand. I attempted to shoot them with more grease until I noticed that I popped one of the seals on one side and grease started flowing out. However, I was not able to add any grease to the other side.

Other than greasing this area, what could be bad? It looks like a shaft that mounts to the tie rods with a few bushings and seals... no bearings or anything. I'm thinking that if I regrease them that they will loosen up, but will probably take them apart and inspect.

Any ideas? Do some of these parts go bad/ dry out?

Last edited:
SledBoy said:
Regarding your Viper 02 seat, it's too soft. I had mine re upolstered firmer. The stock suspension is way too stiff and I'm 240 lbs.

I'm starting to think it's the suspension as well and not the seat. I need to adjust the load setting. As of right now, they are on the firmest setting. I thought the stiffness of the '02 would suit my riding style, but maybe not. BTW, is the problem of the 02's more in the rear, front, or both?

Back