Clutching Problems 98 SRX 700

98blueracer

Installed Hauck #4 clutch kit, didn't work right. Talked to tech at hauck and they said to add heavier rivets which made it worse. Now I have the stock weights and spring in the primary and the aftermarket stuff in the secondary. It engages at about 3200-3300 (too low) and revs to 8900. This clutch is driving me crazy, hauck is not helping me out very well. With their kit in it only runs 95 mph in 1000 feet. I could use some new ideas! Also, do airbox mods work? Was thinking about cutting three holes into dash and adding some screens to cover them.

id put that clutch kit right in the recycling bin and start over from scratch. im not a believer in buying these $400 clutch kits myself, but the stock weights, some engagement shims in the primary and a 51/43 helix or 52/42 with yamaha green secondary at 70 should get you right where you need to be. I think the clutch kits you buy from places like hauck and bender are way over rated and over priced.

tomseal6 said:
id put that clutch kit right in the recycling bin and start over from scratch. im not a believer in buying these $400 clutch kits myself, but the stock weights, some engagement shims in the primary and a 51/43 helix or 52/42 with yamaha green secondary at 70 should get you right where you need to be. I think the clutch kits you buy from places like hauck and bender are way over rated and over priced.

I agree, those clutch kits are way overpriced and you can get better performance if you set it up yourself. Several of us can help you out with a good setup.

Should I stick with the stock weights or use the 89A-10 weights from Hauck? Right now my sled engages way too low with the stock primary setup, should I change the spring and or the weights?

I have dont the $400 clutch kit
NEVER AGAIN....it was less expensive to go with some advice from here and purchase the parts required.
I will have 3 or 4 custom set ups for the same price as the BOX KIT.

very true, we can put together clutch setups for much cheaper because we only have to factor in the cost of parts and the gas to go get them, whereas they have possibly many parts runs, hours of dyno time, and a testing crew to pay behind their clutch kit prices. Also those kits are more one size fits all than what you can do on your own.

Don't throw all clutch kits under the same rug. If you look at our prices we only charge what it would cost you to buy the components individually (sometimes even a tad cheaper) and we will accomodate any changes you want made to the setup going by your rider weight or riding style.

yes aulmer kits are great they don't false advertise like others they actaully care about their customers there not out there to take your money.89a10's work very well in the srx's.What is the letter say on the hauck helix?

i also agree Allen of Ulmer Racing is very helpful, and is willing to switch out parts for me when we accidentally got them mixed up, GREAT guy to deal with! PS Allen, your spring got mailed otu on monday, should be there in a few days pal!

What color spring would stiffen up the primary? I have the stock gold-gold-gold spring in now. I'm new to clutch tuning so bear with me, I'm not sure what size shim(s) to get or from where. The secondary still has all the Hauck stuff in it with the 'G' helix with the silver spring set in the 3-3 postion. I have some radar runs in a few weeks where I have to beat a piped XC 700, or this thing is going off a cliff. Can't lose to 700 twin! I just installed vforce 3's, haven't run it since, want to fix the clutch first. Thanks everyone for the help.

Stock primary spring is y-w-y.Silver secondary spring is too stiff with that helix & stock weights. You got a mess going on in those clutches.

Stock in the 98 is a G-G-G primary spring, but yes i agree the silver is too much with that setup

Iv'e ran that same helix with those weights before.Get a green yamaha secondary spring.With that helix and those weights set up correctly that set up will fly and have some great top end.

Yeah, tell me about it! I don't even know where to start now. I could really use a good 1000 foot setup, and a way to adjust it for trail riding.

Pro116, did you use the stock yamaha weights with rivets added, or are you talking about the 89a-10 weights that Hauck gave me?

Back