1982 ss440 won"t start.

fastsrx600

I have a 1982 ss440 that won't start. It ran great last season, but so far this season no go so far. This is what I have done so far.
1. Removed and drained fuel tank, refilled with fresh fuel.
2. Changed in tank fuel filter.
3. Rebuilt fuel pump.
4. New fuel lines.
5. New ignition coil, good spark.
6. Removed and cleaned carb the same way I have done the previous two seasons.
7. New spark plugs.

This thing has me stumped. It will pop a few times but will not run. Any body have any suggestions on what else I can check or do. I'm thinking of taking it to the local Yamaha dealer to have them look it over. Very frustating. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Steve

Steve

with any gas engine two things are required fuel and spark . if you have a good spark then you have no fuel , even if there is a timing problem it would backfire thru the carbs or exhaust if you had both spark and fuel .
pull the plugs prime with premixed fuel and see if it runs on that , if it does check the pulse line to the fuel pump , the fuel pump , fuel filter , look for cracked fuel lines etc. good luck
Kevin

Its sounds like it could be a fuel problem. As srxfromhell said check your pulse line. If the crank seals are leaking it won't pump fuel to the carbs. Let us know how you make out!

I had mice get into my 83 ss and the first time I started it up a few sunflower seeds got sucked into the reeds so there was no pressure to the pump pulse line

Thanks for your input guy's. One more question. Is the fuel pump supposed to pressurize the carb float bowl? The reason I ask is because when I changed fuel lines I filled the line from the pump outlet to the carb bowl and since it hasn't run yet I don't know if my rebuild of the fuel pump is working.

Steve

Ss

Are your plugs wet when you remove them? If not try to start it on fogger or carb cleaner spray.

I have two 81 SS440. To prime mine after having the fuel pump or carb off (or running it out of fuel) I blow air into the tank vent line (by mouth) with the gas cap closed to pressurize the tank. This will force the fuel thru the pump and into the carb. The tank vent line is on the clutch side of the bulk head, a clear open hose pointing down.

Update on the sled. Took it to a local dealer to have it checked over and this is what they told me. Compression in both cylinders is low, when rotating engine by hand without spark plugs installed rough spots can be felt which probably means bad crank bearings. I'm thinking compression is low due to bad crank seals because the freshly rebuilt fuel pump and pulse line aren't moving any fuel. Sounds like it is time for a complete overhaul.
That's ok, no snow here in Wisconsin anyway.

Steve

Back