Why the 2 min search limit?

agree'd.

The reason i believe is to alleviate server demand... doesn't seem to be a problem on other forums i visit with many more members than this site.

kinger said:
Just curious, makes it tough to find things. Thanks

Bandwidth limits, I'm sure, from the web host where they have this forum. More bandwidth = more money, and more searching = more bandwidth AND can bog the site down.

Tom can (and I'm sure does) review the server stats frequently keeping an eye on that so the site doesn't get shut down partway through the month for exceeding its transfer limits, and I'm guessing that he has had to impose limits to keep that from happening. Other strategies might be limiting attachments, limiting avatars, limiting sigs, limiting smilies etc. I think this is a well run site, and a huge bargain for what we pay for it...limited searching is a minor annoyance in the scheme of things.

IMO, attachment size should be limited to 50k. There's really no need to have pictures bigger than that on the 'net, if they're properly sized and compressed, 50k is more than enough.

This is to help keep loads on the server lower in peak times. But I will reduce that search limit. If you guys where smart about it you would save your search screen and open each of the threads you want to see into new window, therefore your search will always be there for you to use. Another thing this isnt cheap running the site and none of you are VIPs and that search limit may never have to be if you would contribute.

Also there is quite a few other things that run on this server other then this forum. :o|

Yowzas, just curious Mr. Sled, I didn't really know the donation process buti f you need money I can contribute, I didn't know if its paid for by members, or sponsors. I use the window technique but if you want to change what you search you have to start from scratch.

I was just curious is all as I try to search as much as I can before posting new stuff taking up even more space. Thanks

the search feature uses more server resources than any other single request to the site. the load that is given slows the processes down for all. most large sites set limits to ease the strain on the server to maintain the speed for the rest of the users. ski

Sorry if I came across hard...just lots to do and maybe didnt give this post the attention it needs...Thanks Ski , your the best buddy ;)!

you spelled came wrong i fixed it boss. LOL! ski

Last edited by a moderator:

Back