81 Exicter Input Needed!

SLOWPOKE

VIP Member
Hello all, I borrowed my Dad's 81 Exciter last season but only had one ride with it being late season. This machine has under 6500 miles on it and is stock. Maintenance over the years were sparce. Only work that has been done is the shaft bearings had been replaced around 86. Unfortunatley he wasn't one who belives in preventative maintenance. The good news is that it does run nicely dispite neglect.

While talking with him recently I found out that he doesn't want the machine back so I guess it was an early Christmas gift...Wish I had known that during the summer so that I could have done some work on it. Oh well. So far I have removed the suspension and cleaned the rust off it and have repainted it. Also replaced all bearings in the suspension. I plan to restore/upgrade some things on the sled over the next year or so if all goes well. After the holidays I plan to have my local dealer clean the carb & pump along with having filters changed and possibly a clutch adjustment. With that said, I would like some input from you sleders who may have tinkered with these reliable toys.

1) Suspension upgrade (Heard of someone installing a C-7 from a 95 F-1 in these things) How about, (FAST M-10) ?

2) Thinking of installing an AAEN Vintage pipe

3) Carb is stock..Any thoughts on a going duel?

4) What about jeting?

My only concern at the moment is that some kid had rear ended this thing gulp, at one time with a Bravo while stopped. There is a dent in the rear about center of the flap. Didn't really notice any other physical damage other than that. Eventually I'd like to get a tunnel replacement for it but many of these things are still running strong and parts are virtually nill.

I have no plans to race this sled as such but would like to liven it up a little and hopefully gain a few extra MPH. I've always been partial to this machine and no matter what I rode I've always wanted this piece of history. Now 24 years later it is mine and hope to do a resotre. :o) Love the sound of those old twins!

Exciter

I have been playing around with a couple 78-79 Exciters and can tell you they are a pretty fun sled to play on and ride. I am not usre how much gain you would get or if you could even use an upgraded suspenision. The Aaen pipe is good for some more hp for sure. I have changed my sled over to twin carbs and love the quick pick up it has now. Have fun with it.

Back