1988 sno scoot

01&02SRX

I just picked up a sno scoot for the kids! It starts fine with the choke but real boggy and will not idle with out choke on but ok wide open with no load. An suggestions???? Thanks

clean the carb. Comes off real easy and simple to clean.

Tod

PS if you need help just post again but go through that carb first.

I have a 89 sno scoot and I am having similar troubles, mine will run fine for a while (sometimes an hour or better) then will start to rev high and go by itself. I have taken the carb off and cleaned it totally and it still does it. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

sno scoot

well now I got it to run it is nice and crisp at first it then loads up and blows oil and gas out the pipe. ;)!

Mack your issue with"run fine for a while (sometimes an hour or better) then will start to rev high and go by itself." happens when it runs out of gas and goes lean.

Last edited:
I wonder if your exhaust pipe is pluged up??? You could try burning the exhaust pipe............. take a 55 gallon drum fill it with fire wood and put the pipe on top of the wood, start a fire and try the pipe the next day after it is cooled down. Used to do this with moped and LT50 exhaust pipes, if they were cloged up. The scoot does have a baffle, you could try removing it first.

OR - maybe you have crap in your tank and it keeps getting into the carb giving you different results with each ride, you could have junk in the carb that settled to the bottom of the bowl then gets sucked up when riding.

Tod

Last edited:
would anyone be interested in a dyno - tuned performance exhaust system designed specifically for the Scoot...that nearly doubles HP? :) just curious......... :)

It always pays to check in "in tank" filter on any Yamaha you are having carb issues with. I have had alot of them that will come apart and /or start to dissintegrate. Pieces of the filter paper can hold open a pump diaphram or needle valve. These pieces can go unnoticed during the carb cleaning process so even though the carb looked clean when you take it off and it may run great after you clean the carb your not sure why. When the problem comes back and you know you just cleaned the carb you start looking for other problems that don't exist. I've seen this several times and in one case the pieces were large enough to block the fuel pump inlet to the point that it would starve the engine of fuel at high speed but allow it to run fine at idle or when just putting around. They are supposed to be replaced every so often but most guys never do so I always check them just to be sure.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

01&02SRX said:
well now I got it to run it is nice and crisp at first it then loads up and blows oil and gas out the pipe. ;)!

The enrichener may not have been set right or may be hanging up after you put the carb back on.

I had my Sno-Sport carb apart once (sold it since) but I do not remember if it has the same type enrichener as other carbs. There would likely be some kind of adjustment there for the enrichener though.

It would be good for you to have a service manual if you are going to be doing work on the sled. Watch eBay or check with Yamaha.

Another thing is that the inlet needle or seat could have been damaged during the cleaning process.

I just had two machines this week with same symptoms and both of them needed needle and seat.

Tony

Bullhead said:
would anyone be interested in a dyno - tuned performance exhaust system designed specifically for the Scoot...that nearly doubles HP? :) just curious......... :)

Bullhead, I have a 89 scoot and would be interested in the performance pipe. I am also interested in how you mounted those shocks.

We mount the top of the shock by using our new front bumper and shock mounts which capture the new bumper as well as the existing frame tube, and the shock is attached at the bottom on our wide-stance chromoly a-arms with shock mounts built.

PM me your email address or phone# to discuss the pipe.

Thanks!

Back