SS440 Primary Sheave Removal

skoot11

I want to remove the motor in 1 of my SS440's and in order to remove the Primary Sheave they say 'you need the Yamaha tools to hold th clutch and the tool to back out the clutch' anyone have an alternative method to accomplish this?
Thx Ed :yam:

You will need a clutch puller. The pullers are $25 to $30.
Remove the bolt that is holding the clutch on now, grease up the puller and thread it into the clutch and tighten it until the primary pops off. I have used a 1/2" impact to remove my clutch's many times without a problem. Other people will tell you never to use an impact?
The engine can be held from turning over with a variety of methods without the use of the specified Yamaha tool. You can wrap the primary with an old automotive serp and hold the belt with a pipe wrench. This is how i hold mine to torque the clutch retaining bolt back on.
By the way. I had an ET 340 that i was able to get the engine out of the frame without removing the primary. When it came time to remove the clutch, I held the engine off the ground by hanging onto the primary and had someone hammer on the clutch retaining bolt that was backed out 2 or 3 turns. It worked but it can cause a lot of damage to a lot of parts if done incorrectly.

Great info. So let me see if I have it, re the clutch puller is a no brainer, I spoke with a fellow who parts them out near our cottage, and he'll loan me one. The hammering trick I suspect removes the clutch by vibration? I suspect that the threads on the clutch remover are metric, possibly 18mm. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong but if I was to get a 6-7in bolt with the correct threads and grind off )smooth off) the lower threads would that therby creating a remover?? Only seen pictures of one.
Thx Ed

Last edited:
caravanman said:
You will need a clutch puller. The pullers are $25 to $30.
Remove the bolt that is holding the clutch on now, grease up the puller and thread it into the clutch and tighten it until the primary pops off. I have used a 1/2" impact to remove my clutch's many times without a problem. Other people will tell you never to use an impact?
The engine can be held from turning over with a variety of methods without the use of the specified Yamaha tool. You can wrap the primary with an old automotive serp and hold the belt with a pipe wrench. This is how i hold mine to torque the clutch retaining bolt back on.
By the way. I had an ET 340 that i was able to get the engine out of the frame without removing the primary. When it came time to remove the clutch, I held the engine off the ground by hanging onto the primary and had someone hammer on the clutch retaining bolt that was backed out 2 or 3 turns. It worked but it can cause a lot of damage to a lot of parts if done incorrectly.

Borrowed 2 pullers but both are too big. Just to make sure the puller goes in the hole created with the removal of the bolt? I don't need to disassemb;e the clutch outside from the inner part, correct?
Thx Ed

skoot11 said:
Borrowed 2 pullers but both are too big. Just to make sure the puller goes in the hole created with the removal of the bolt? I don't need to disassemb;e the clutch outside from the inner part, correct?
Thx Ed
Correct. The puller goes in the hole were the hold down bolt comes out of. No other disassembly is needed.

Back