1978 SRX shop Manual needed.

1978 SRX

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the '78 SRX shop or owners manual?
Thanks

hey yammie god, I could use the torque specs for the cylinders and heads for my 78 ssr. I am also looking for a junk 78-80 cylinder. I just need the head studs out of it.

I HAVE SPEC,S YA NEED ON 1978 SSR. WHY DID YA ASK FOR 78 SRX ? WELL ANYWAY!!
CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE- FIRST 14.5ft-lb FINAL 18ft-lb (m8p1.25)
FIRST 14.5ft-lb FINAL 24ft-lb (m10p1.25 )
( 20 ft.lb)

Yammiegod,

Went to pick up this 78, started right up and drove it onto my trailer. Got it home, now it won't start. It seems to have decent spark, one side is better than the other though. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel. I decided to take the left carb off and give it a cleaning. The carbs say 8G9 on them so they are the originals. Doesn't look that dirty. I see someone put those UFO things made by Thunder Products in them. Should they come out? I am not sure what the jets should be, do you have the stock setup in your manual? I am thinking it should be set back to stock if it has been changed. I do not want to race the sled as so many guys seem to want to do. I just think they are cool and want to get the motor running, get a repro hood and stickers, massage out the dents, and try to get her looking nice. I, as you can tell, am not a mechanic, I'm a toolmaker and probably should take her to someone that knows something about sled motors. I just want to try and cover the basic stuff. Currently I have a 260 main jet, a 30 pilot jet, and a 125 power jet. Can you tell me if those are standard?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
NO, THE JETTING YOU HAVE IS LISTED AS OPTIONAL IN MANUAL. FIRST THING GET RID OF THOSE UFO,s. SECOND THING DO A COMPRESSION TEST ON THAT MOTOR. IF GOOD, IT SHOULD BE 140psi. ALSO , CHECK YOUR FUEL PUMP, MIGHT NEED A REBUILD. OK, HERE ARE STOCK 78 SRX JETTING.
SIZE-VM36mm MIKUNI
ID MARK - 8G900L /8G900R
MAIN JET -#310
POWER JET-#80
PILOT JET-#30
NEEDLE JET- #6DH3-3 POSITION.
LET ME KNOW IF YA NEED ANYTHING ELSE
!! 3:16 (tony)

Yammiegod,

Compression appears to be about 75 psi, is she toast? It was supposedly all rebuilt.

Yammiegod,

Correction, I don't think I tested compression right. Didn't have the throttle wide open! Now I get 110 in one and 100 in the other after several pulls and with both plugs out. Is she still toast or will she run marginally that way? I pulled off the pipes and the pistons don't look that scuffed up, just a little scratch on each. I can only see one ring on each piston. Is that right, shouldn't there be two? I found a parts list on Yamaha's site and it shows two. Sorry for all the dumb questions!

Thanks!

Toast

Face it the rig is no good for any possible reason. I will do you a favor and just come and take it off your hands, along with any other parts that go with it......... ;)!
YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
SHE IS TOAST !! GET THE BUTTER OUT. 3:16 (tony)

DUDE, 140 psi IS HEALTHY COMPRESSION ON A STOCK 440 SRX. NO MATTER HOW YA LOOK AT IT. THAT MOTOR NEEDS TO BE TAK,IN APART AND INSPECTED. FIRST PISTONS NEED TO BE CHECKED, THAN RINGS REPLACED IF PISTONS ARE USEABLE AND THAN THE CONDITION OF THE CYLINDERS. SHURE IT WILL RUN, PUT I DOUBT YOUR MAKING MUCH HP. I BELIEVE YOU HAVE A BASKET CASE THERE!! 3:16 (tony)

Back