78 srx (diamond in the rough)

maxx0770

So I was working the other day and I noticed a snowmobile sitting behind a fence, under a tarp. I peered through the cracks and could only see the top corner of a windshield. I was then startled, by the owner asking me if he could help me? So we got to talking and after i explained my passion for vintage sleds he showed me the sled and just as I suspected it was indeed an srx and a 78 to boot. So after talking for a while he told me that it is for sale, but he didnt know how much he wanted for it. It is all original and has some slight front end damage but nothing serious. The hood only has the usual stress cracks nothing bad and nothign actually broken. He claims it runs but the recoil was pulled off so i didnt get to see it start. I did however check to see if it was locked up and it is not. It has been outside, untouched for a few years. My question for you guys, what would be a good deal based on what i have told you??? To tell you the truth other than seeing it you know as much as i do!!! Seat is not ripped, original pipes, all hood vents still good, windshield not cracked, still has the rubber pieces on the sides of the belly pan, etc...

DUDE, I AM A HUGE SRX COLLECTOR BY LUCK lol !! SEE I HAVE TWO SRX,s. A 1980 SRX AND A 1979 SRX THAT I OWNED AND RACED YEARS AGO. NOW, AFEW THINGS WITH THIS 78 SRX, FIRST HUGE ON THEM IS HOW IS THE PAN. MOST OF THESE WERE DESTROYED AND WHERE MOST OF THE DAMAGE IS. RECOIL KNOW BIG DEAL, PROBLEY CAN FIND GOOD USED AT A SALVAKAGE OR E BAY. REMEBER 78 AND 79 SRX TOOK SAME RECOIL WITH VIBREATION GROMETS. REST OF THE STUFF YOU CAN HUNT FOR. CHECK SHORT FRONT BUMPER, CHECK TUNNEL FOR TEARS, SIDE BOOTS, COMPRESSION, GET A LITE DOWN IN CYLINDERS , PREFIX # IS 8G9 FOR 78 SRX. THIS NUMBER WILL BE ON RIGHT FRONT OF TUNNEL WHEN SITTING ON SLED. 3:16 (tony)

alright i know that it had the short bumper, red and white hood, good tunnel with no tears and decent belly pan. both side boots there, recoil there and ready to go back on but he didnt do it yet, really dirty but seems like a winner. the hood had some spider cracks, even the snow flap and rear bumper are in excellent shape... I jsut dont know where to go with the price? I will check ont he vin next chance i egt but i dont want him to think it is somrthing special...b/c obviously he will want more.
PS where is webster New york?

DUDE, SLED SOUNDS LIKE ITS ALL THERE. I JUST BOUGHT MY 1979 SRX BACK FOR $1000 AND REALLY BELIEVE THIS SLED IS WORTH $1500. IF ITS THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE, SLED COULD BE IN $800/$1200 RANGE. I AM 20 MILES EAST OF ROCHESTER NY !! 3:16 (tony)

Yeah, it seems like a pretty good deal! We have a cabin in Pennsylvania, only a few miles from the New York border. Right on trail number one. It goes up into the Allegheny national forest in New York by the Willows restaraunt. You ever ride over there??? We have mostly ridden in PA but are planning to get passes for New York this year.

Maxx0770,
Offer him $500 and then go from there. This sounds like it could be a 10 after your done cleaning it up. What about the most important thing? The belly pan. Very very important. The sled will be worth $1500 all day long and more as the years go on. If it's a clean perfect sled. Hey Tony tell Mark he better polish up my old mint 77. I'm coming back out with four sleds and I'm not holding back. Skies the limit. 76Ps/77Ps/77stk and a 78trail stk. You know how I I'm.......See ya soon. Dean-o

Hey Tony,
I forgot to tell ya. I got my new pipes. It took Dave Delaughter about 6 weeks to build them. These are the new style. The 340 and 440 are all ready to run on the grass. Dean-o

TIME BOMB, YES!!. DEAN, I KNOW YOUR SLEDS WILL BE AWSOME, BUT YOUR OLD 77 MARK HAS IS THE STANDARD. lol!! HEY SAW ERIC SOLES AT THE OTEGO SHOW, I LOVE THAT 78 340 EXCITER HE HAS. 3:16 (tony)

Hey maxx0770,
If you really love the old srx's. Now is the time to purchase what you can, including extra parts. Take it from me, I kick myself everytime I think of what I sold in the past. I'm taking what I have this time to the grave. Those old srx's are awsome. The 77 is the best, but the most expensive srx. The next best sled would be the SSR. Good luck. Dean-o

GUYS ALITTLE SRX INFO FOR YA.
1976 - ONLY YEAR YAMAHA MADE 340 SRX. I BELIEVE THEY WERE AROUND 68-72 hp.
1976- THE OFFICAL FIRST YEAR OF THE 440 SRX. THERE WERE LIMITED FACTORY RACERS IN 1975, BUT THE 1976 WAS THE FIRST YEAR OF THESE SLEDS WE ALL KNOW. THIS SLED WAS 88 hp. THE RACES BETWEEN THE LEGENDARY MERC SNO- TWISTER AND THE SRX ARE STILL ARGUED TO THIS DAY. THE 1976 SRX 440 PIPES WORKED AWSOME ON THE LATER YEARS SRX,s FOR LAKE RACING.
1977 SRX. THE BEST OF THEM ALL. 337 POUNDS , 98 hp @ 10,000 RPM. ALUMINUM BULKHEAD!! THESE SLEDS WON EVERY RACE THEY RACED AT IN 1977. YAMAHA HAD MANY BIG NAME DRIVERS. THIS SLED CAUSED ISR TOO GO '' RULE '' CRAZY, WITH BANNING THEM FROM RACING. THESE SLEDS WERE COMPETIVE EVEN INTO THE MID NINETIES, ISR FINALLY USED A 15 YEAR RULE TO OUST THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO FAST. ISR CLAIMED SAFETY REASONS BUT TRUTH WAS THE FACTORIES COULD NOT WATCH THE OLD BEAT THE NEW.
1978 SRX. YAMAHA DETUNES THE SRX. MORE TRAIL FRIENDLY. RUBBER TRACK, SMALL CARBS, LARGE GAS TANK. MORE WEIGHT. THESE WERE 80 hp @ 9000.
1979 SRX. SAME AS 78 SRX EXCEPT FIRST YEAR ALL BLACK AND YAMAHA DETUNES SLIGHTLY WITH A SLIGHT COMPRESSION CHANGE. 78 hp @ 9000.
1980 SRX. THE BEST LOOKING SRX. GOLD AND BLACK WAS AWSOME. YAMAHA STILL KNOCKING SRX DOWN WITH FIRST OIL INJECTION AND BUTTERFLY CARBS. 75 hp @ 9000.
1981 SRX. TOTALLY DEFFENT SRX. FRONT TSS STRUT SLED. SLED WAS FOR LAKE RACING . SLEDS WERE WARRTIE NIGHTMARE FOR YAMAHA. MANY RECALLS. THIS SLED FLEW ON THE LAKES. THESE SLEDS HAD POWER BAND LIKE DIRT BIKE. . MOTOR WANT TP RUN AT 6000. 88hp @ 9250. TODAY A PERFECT CONDITION ONE STILL LOOKS AWSOME. THIS SLED WAS WAY AHEAD OF ITS TIME.
1982 SRX 500. BUILT BUT YAMAHA PULLED PLUG ON RELEASEING THEM. SLED WOULD OF BEEN AWSOME ON LAKE. AFEW ARE OUT THERE, JON BERTOLINO AS RESTORED SOME HE HAD FOUND THEAT WERE JUNKED. I BELIEVE OF THESE WERE USED FOR THE 1983 VMAX 540.
THERE YA GO , QUICK SRX HISTORY lol !! 3:16 (tony)

Tony,
You are the man!!. Yamaha man that is!! lol. Ok guys I have a problem. Is it just me or are their others out there that have the this problem. When I see a 77 srx at a swap meet my heart ponds and I go F%^*$n nuts over it. Is this normal? HELP!!!
Dean-o

DEAN, lol !!! I HAVE A PROBLEM, I RATTLED THAT WHOLE POST OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD !! DAMM I BEEN SCREWING AROUND WITH SLEDS ALONG TIME !!! yikes. 3:16 (tony)

Back